Extension Requests via Moodle?

Extension Requests via Moodle?

by Reece Jones -
Number of replies: 4

I have a new feature/update request. As I understand, the process is to post here to determine if anybody has a solution and whether or not a ticket should be raised on the tracker?

Similar discussions have been had here, but are long out of date:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=120884
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=216784

For the last year or so we have been using the method described here to handle extension requests from students: 

This process is simple enough, but I would like to suggest:

• Students receive a message & email notification when an extension has been granted.
    We regularly have confused students wondering if their extension is granted, or assuming it has not been because they have not been notified. We also get students confused because they don't know the precise date/time of their extension cut-off.

Further, rather than extension requests being made by students over e-mail, we use a work-around:

1. Students complete a fillable PDF
  2. then upload that as a file on the assignment module in question.
    This is useful because it creates a paper trail for the request that is easily accessible. However it is cumbersome because it means that the grader only receives a non-specific notification that a student has submitted something
  3. The grader logs in to Moodle, downloads the PDF,
  4. grants the extension
  5. AND MUST REVERT SUBMISSION TO DRAFT, in order to allow the student to submit their assignment at a later date.

This process is at times too complicated for our less computer literate staff.

So my second suggestion is this:

• Alongside the "ADD SUBMISSION" feature, a separate "REQUEST EXTENSION" be added for assignments. A student could then send a message to the grader, attach supporting documentation and request a date for their extension. This would not count as a regular assignment file submission and therefore;
  • The grader would receive a specific 'extension request' notification for that student.
  • The grader can grant the extension, with no requirement for them to also REVERT TO DRAFT.

I believe that the simplification of workflow in making, receiving and actioning extension requests via Moodle, particularly for instances with large numbers of students, justifies the addition of this feature to make Moodle's handling of this common occurrence more robust.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Reece Jones

Re: Extension Requests via Moodle?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

As the Assign module itself is capable of accepting plugins - eg for submissions - could this be developed as a Submission Plugin for Assign? that way it is available for those institutions who want to implement it without needing to increase the number of settings and size of the core Assign module for those who dont?

Might be a suggestion to be put through the next round of Moodle User Association projects?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Reece Jones -

Hi Richard,

that sounds like a good option. How do you make suggestions to the MUA?

Thanks.

In reply to Reece Jones

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

We are in the evaluation stage of this round but there will be a new submission period starting soon.  You need to join the Moodle Users Association - the link that Richard provided will get you to the site and you can find all information there about the process and the association.  There is also a forum here and on the MUA site if you have additional questions.