How to Update Old plugin version 1.9 to 3.0 in Moodle ?

How to Update Old plugin version 1.9 to 3.0 in Moodle ?

by hanu bala -
Number of replies: 4

Dear All , 

i have a problem in Moodle old plugin . my plugin name is Program (lists all the instances of program in a particular course) . my client site in Moodle 1.9.17 and now want to moodle 3.0 . but plugin is old version. main problem is old plugin is now not available in Moodle .  please help me how to update this plugin .

Average of ratings: -
In reply to hanu bala

Re: How to Update Old plugin version 1.9 to 3.0 in Moodle ?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is the best place to start: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Migrating_contrib_code_to_2.0 (although some of it is out of date, as there are further changes that have been made since Moodle 2.0).

You may also find it quicker to contract this out to a Moodle Partner - speaking for myself, I've done lots of such upgrades (although not for a little while) and could probably do it in a lot less time than it would take you to understand the changes that need to be made. However, doing it yourself would give you a better understanding of the ongoing maintenance of the plugin in the future.

In reply to hanu bala

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I did a series of blog posts documenting my efforts to update a plugin from a 1.9 version to a 2.1 version starting here - http://tandl.churchward.ca/2011/10/converting-m19-plug-ins-to-m2.html.

It references the resource Davo mentions and I believe a few others. You will definitely want to walk through the 2.x version first before upgrading to 3.x.

mike

In reply to hanu bala

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Are you a developer yourself or do you know any? I discussed the broad principles of upgrading plugins at the recent UK MoodleMoot and you can watch the presentation here

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

And please, do not place the same question in two different forums, it creates confusion. Do you want to rewrite your plugin or want to replace it with something else? Confusing. If rewriting, then continue here, if looking for a replacement, go to the General Forum