SOLVED: Self-registration enabled, but not accessible at login (Eguru theme)

SOLVED: Self-registration enabled, but not accessible at login (Eguru theme)

by Suzie Ama -
Number of replies: 16

Hello, I am using Moodle 2.9.2 with the Eguru theme. I have Email-based registration: enabled (the "eye" icon is open, and "Email-based registration" is selected from the Self-registration menu.

However, the login screen does not present the "Is this your first time here?" section, so users are not given access to create an account.  Manually loading the page, http://www.domain.com/login/signup.php, and completing the form does successfully create an account. I have provided users with the URL to this page in instructions on the front page, but I would really like the option to be made available in the Login screen.

This appears to be an issue with the Eguru theme. I have other Moodle 2.9.2 installations with other themes, and the "Is this your first time here?" section appears normally in those instances.

Any help is much appreciated.

Suzie Ama

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Tuesday, 17 May 2016, 7:58 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Suzie Ama

Re: Self-registration enabled, but not accessible at login (Eguru theme)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Suzie, 

Do you have access to the eGuru theme files?

If so try blocking this line in eguru/renderers.php by adding // in front of the line of code like this:

* @copyright  2015 onwards Nephzat Dev Team (http://www.nephzat.com)
 * @authors    Nephzat Dev Team , nephzat.com
 * @license    http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html GNU GPL v3 or later
 */
// require_once('renderers/core_renderer.php');
require_once('renderers/course_renderer.php');

After doing this you will need to Purge all cache

I think that is the most likely cause of the Login problem as that renderer alters the way people login.

Of course I maybe wrong.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Finn Majlergaard -

Hello Mary Evans

I have the same problem.

I tried your suggestion and got this error instead:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method theme_bootstrapbase_core_renderer::earlier_user_menu() in /home/guginonline/public_html/theme/eguru/layout/includes/header.php on line 95

All the best

Finn

In reply to Finn Majlergaard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Finn,

Are you using Moodle 2.9 as well?

If not then that fix was not the right one to use in your situation.

Unfortunataly my computer system crashed a few days ago and I am still sifting through the ashes to see what files I can find, so sadly I am not in a position to help you find a solution.

Perhaps you might like to try another theme?

Sorry I can't be of any use.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Finn Majlergaard -

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for a rapid reply

Sorry to hear your computer crashed. I hope you had a recent backup of everything. I learned it the hard way some years ago.

I use moodle version 3.2.

Can you recommend a contemporary theme that doesn't cause trouble and is well supported? I wrote the company behind eGuru some days ago but never got an answer.

All the best

Finn

by Mary Evans -

Thanks,

Well I did not backup as much as I should have, but managed to save most of the information I have stored recently...so not as bad as it could have been.

I am back on WIN7 and my son said is going to show me haw to install LINUX ... which will be fun!!!.

I'll take a look at eGuru and see if I can fix the files for you.

You may as well just use Clean theme for the time being.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Finn Majlergaard -

DEar Mary,

Thank you very much. Will try it out.

All the best

Finn

SOLUTION : Re: Self-registration enabled, but not accessible at login (Eguru theme)

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Do you have access to the eGuru theme files?

If so try replacing the config.php with the one I have attached.

All I did was to remove the reference to the login layout code from the $THEME->layouts.

$THEME->layouts = array(
    // The site home page.
    'frontpage' => array(
        'file' => 'frontpage.php',
        'regions' => array('side-pre'),
        'defaultregion' => 'side-pre',
        'options' => array('nonavbar' => true),
    ),
    'login' => array(
        'file' => 'column1.php',
        'regions' => array(),
        'options' => array('langmenu' => true),
    ),
);

This then forces the theme to use Bootstrapbase theme's layout file, for the login layout, which displays the normal Login for Moodle.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Finn Majlergaard -

Dear Mary

Wow. Wonderful. Thank you so much. It works.

I know a lot of other people will be happy too as I have seen this problem mentioned on many forums, but no solutions

All the best

Finn

by Mary Evans -

Glad it worked as intended,  that's the beauty of Moodle, there is so much you can do with it.

I guess its really just a little bit of Moodle Magic.

Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

Cheers

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Kiran Derle -

You can even copy login.php file from Boost theme and paste (overwrite) in eguru theme. It works!

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: SOLUTION : Re: Self-registration enabled, but not accessible at login (Eguru theme)

by Gonzalo Santos -

thanks! work perfect for me. 

In reply to Mary Evans

Re: SOLUTION : Re: Self-registration enabled, but not accessible at login (Eguru theme)

by Schwann Chan -

Hi Mary,

Thank you for emailing the link of your solution. I have solved the issue by rewriting the signup.php file. Your method also works. However, the password textbox field cannot be displayed correctly as before. There is neither the "required" mark (the little red star) nor the "unmask" checkbox. Do you have any idea about it? 

The current password field:

pwd

The previous password field:

pwd2

Or maybe it is because I enabled "https" for login and signup page and caused mixed content issue? But it should be no problem. 

debug

In reply to Mary Evans

by Angeles Sánchez -

Dear Mary 

The comments in this post, have helped me a lot to modify layouts that are loaded from config.php of the theme. But I use a theme based on bootstrapbase, and I do not know if a secondary theme like moove can be added, which is based on boost.

Could I configure in config that the layout: login '=> array, be loaded from moove and not from the main theme? 

Forgive my expression in English, it is very basic, like my knowledge in programming. 

Thank you very much for your time and your excellent contributions in moodle. 

a greeting Angie

In reply to Angeles Sánchez

by Mary Evans -

Hi Angeles,

It all depends on which version of Moodle you are using.

If you are using either Moodle 3.2, 3.3 or 3.4 then you can add a child theme of Boost such as Photo or Fordson.

However, to make your Moodle site open up the Login from a Boost theme then, I suspect you would need to set that up as a renderer in your Moodle site's main theme.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Angeles Sanchez -

Hi Mary,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to answer me.

I am using 3.4, but the main theme is not based on Boost or Fordson ...

So I think I can not do what I told you. I think that in the future the development of themes in moodle will go through this line, so I will update the theme of my campus.

Regards wink