RLO - creating a reusable SCORM activity / object

RLO - creating a reusable SCORM activity / object

by Matt Perkins -
Number of replies: 2

Searching the forums, I couldn't find a straight forward answer to this question. I'm new to Moodle and also a little rusty around SCORM concepts. 

We're interested in creating a RLO strategy that would consist of small SCORM courses / objects that we can assemble into new courses. My thought is that we'd upload the SCORM package once and then use it to build multiple course offerings using combinations of various modules for different clients and needs.

How is this best done? I've seen other users create a file repo and upload / unzip the SCORM package there and then link to the imsmanifest.xml each time you wish to use the SCO in a course? Is this the preferred way or is there an easier path? Perhaps with SCORM 2004 since it has a more developed concept of reuse?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Perkins

Re: RLO - creating a reusable SCORM activity / object

by KirK Chapman -

Hello Matt,

Great question... However, in terms of 'preferred of easier'  it's hard to cull a straightforward answer because of the variety of ways to structure reusable courses using SCORM with Moodle.  However, much depends on the authoring tool you use to create the courses; the critical difference being how each communicates SCORM parameters.  I will note that your creating 'small SCORM courses' is vitally important and a great first step in terms of managing and tracking SCOs between courses. Further, keep in mind that:

SCORM 2004 is not supported in Moodle. Parts of the API have been implemented, but others such as Navigation and Sequencing have not.  https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/SCORM_FAQ#Supported_Versions 

The path to an answer is likely to be more curvy than straight.big grin I'm sure other comments will make it less so!

Peace

In reply to KirK Chapman

Re: RLO - creating a reusable SCORM activity / object

by Matt Perkins -

Thanks for the feedback, Kirk! Great to know there are many ways to do it and that I can be done! 

Our primary authoring tool is Captivate for the time being, I'm meeting with the client group interested in this approach later today. Agree that it's more about managing the content challenge than the technical one.

I went down this road at another company with SCORM 2004 back in 2007 and we decided to abandon it due to the technical challenges with implementing 2004 content and sequencing.