Upgrading Moodle, PHP, MYSQL (Maria DB)

Re: Upgrading Moodle, PHP, MYSQL (Maria DB)

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes it is easier to install and upgrade them on Linux (at least I find it easier) - its usually a simple apt-get install command, or similar depending on your Linux distribution. But if no-one in your institution (you) has Linux expertise, but you do on Windows then, for all its benefits, moving to Linux may not be the best solution in your particular case smile

That said, if you were to install Linux now and then install the apache, php and mysql requirements they would probably be the latest anyway (although I dont think many distros have PHP7 in their default repositories yet), so the issue becomes installing/using Linux rather than upgrading the server requirements, but subsequent upgrades would be straightforward.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Upgrading Moodle, PHP, MYSQL (Maria DB)

by Chris Nelson -

Hi Richard, thanks for your response. Linux is where I would eventually like to be. I have installed Ubuntu Linux and got Moodle running on it, my biggest concern is making it accessible externally without compromising my network. I will eventually want to move to Moodle 3.1 which was just announced but want to make sure all lamp items are supported. For now I will stick with Windows as I am more comfortable with it. But will dabble in Linux in the future.