Can teacher grade assignment as decimal number such as 10.5?

Can teacher grade assignment as decimal number such as 10.5?

by Nawaphon K.bawon -
Number of replies: 6

Teacher in our department would like to grade assignment as decimal number such as 10.5

How I do that?

Tnks in advance

Sorry for my pour english sad

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nawaphon K.bawon

Re: Can teacher grade assignment as decimal number such as 10.5?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Currently not possible, but there really should be a "manual" choice on the grading menu when setting up the assignment that simply prints a field on the grading screen (instead of any menu)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Actually, it is possible for a teacher to grade assignments as decimal number such as 10.5. tongueout.gifwink.gif We do a similar thing in our courses. In Polish universities the most often used grading scale is 2.0 (fail) - 3.0 (satisfactory) - 3.5 (satisfactory+) - 4.0 (good) - 4.5 (good+) - 5.0 (very good). I created a custom scale with the following grades: 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 5.0. The fact that makes it easy for us is that we don't use fractions other than halves. However, the problem in our case was that in the Polish scale 2.5 is not given (a fail is a fail, as simple as that tongueout.gif), which would distort the averages a little, so we actually included 2.5, but our instructors simply don't award this grade.

Similarly, you could create a custom scale with decimal points, but - of course - this is feasible only if you are planning to use low numbers, because if you wanted to have a scale from 0 to 10, with decimals, you'd actually have to create a scale with 101 entries. Imagine what you'd have to do, if you wanted to have a scale from 0 to 100 with all decimals dead.gif
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Nawaphon K.bawon -
Tnks very much for every ideas. I will try it.
In reply to Nawaphon K.bawon

by João Fernandes -
But unfortunately that method won't work if you'd like to use all the grading options that moodle allows. Humbold University developed a custom score add-on. I don't know if they are sharing it, make it a try. I already have one week ago ;P

If despite this, you still want to use the decimal scale creating a new scale, just use excel to make it easy, convert it to csv format (comma separated) then open it with word and replace al the paragraphs with a "," or something like that. This can help in a 0-20.00 scale with hundreds of intermediary numbers ;P

Cheers
J
In reply to João Fernandes

by Michael Penney -

Yep, we made one as part of the old (1.4) assignment and as a custom module in CVS called 'Outside'.

However, these both work on old code, it would be better to hack it into the new assignment grading interface, though we probably won't do that until some time in spring (unless someone else does it firstsmile.

In reply to Michael Penney

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.