My University (UHB Rennes - France) is working with Moodle for about one year.
There are about 20000 students and 1000 teachers in the Moodle database. And also 10 people of the "registrar staff" (is it the correct appellation?), administrative employees manually enrolling/unenrolling the students in the the 500 courses.
Single Sign-On authentication is made with CAS (that itself requests for LDAP).
Student accounts are nightly created/updated from LDAP (by using an adjusted version of auth_ldap_sync_users.php).
Enrolments are self-enrolments or manual (by that registrar staff), depending on student's category : traditional or "open" (adults, for the main part).
I have recently developped three new features for this registrar staff. They are actually working with this new Moodle 1.5+ code for one month :
1) List students
- lists students (with their enrolments) depending on various combined criterias : Fullname (or ID number), Institution, Department, Category, Courses, City/town ;
- downloads the result as text format (for processing with spreadsheet or other text-processor).
2) Enrol several students
- enrols/unenrols several students in one course ;
- transfer enrolments from one cours to another ;
- enrol students selected with previous "List students" feature" (that's a future feature).
3) Enrol one student
- enrol/unrenrols one student in several courses.
In my mind, these features are "registrar-level", like the existing other one "Assign teachers". However, since the "is_registrar()" function doesn't (still) exist, I have flagged them as "creator-level" (with the "is_creator()" function).
If anybody else would find one of these facilities useful, i'd be happy to work for CVS integration.
Here are some screenshots :
1) Users menu for Admins
2) Users menu for Course Creators
3) List students
4) Enrol several students
5) Enrol one student