Allowing students to schedule without enrolling

Allowing students to schedule without enrolling

by Albert Leatherman -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all. In order to facilitate peer tutoring, I've created a "course" in every category (categories include physics, chemistry, geometry, etc) called "Tutors" in which all students are assigned the role of teacher (which I've renamed "Peer tutor") so that they, if they wish, can create a Scheduler activity of their own. That way, students who want to be peer tutors in a specific course category can offer time slots to other students seeking help.

I don't want the students in search of peer tutoring to have to enroll in this "course" just to schedule a time slot with a peer tutor, though. Thus, I would like anyone logged into my Moodle site but not enrolled in the Tutors "course" to be able to click on any student's Scheduler activity and be able to book a time. I have enabled guest access to the "course" to accomplish this, but when a student clicks on any student's Scheduler activity link, the following message appears: "Guests can't do anything here."

Is it possible to allow users logged into Moodle but not enrolled in the "course" in which Scheduler activities are listed to actually book time slots?

PS - You can visualize what I’m trying to replicate by looking at the first screen in this video:

That’s not my video; I’m just trying to replicate the idea of a “course” in which all tutors are listed on the same page and students can click to book time with any of them.

Attachment Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 2.35.08 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Albert Leatherman

Re: Allowing students to schedule without enrolling

by Henning Bostelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Albert

I'm afraid you're on uncharted territory here.

First, Scheduler was really designed to allow enrolled students in a course to book slots, and enrolled teachers to offer slots. It *may* allow non-enrolled users to do something, but that is more a bug then a feature (CONTRIB-6244).

Also, Scheduler assumes that a user is either a student (with capability mod/scheduler:appoint) or a teacher (with capability mod/scheduler:attend). Depending on that, the user will either see the student screen or the teacher screen. Users can't have both.

For a scheduler that everyone can use, I normally place it on the front page (but in the usual student/teacher setup).

Best wishes
  Henning

In reply to Albert Leatherman

Re: Allowing students to schedule without enrolling

by Olga Kim -

I have created the timetable on the main page of my website. This way every authorized user is able to schedule a time slot without any enrollment to any course.

You create a course and place there the link to the timetable, which is binded to the main page, not to the course itself. I am new in web programming and not sure, that it is exactly what you want, I hope my advice would work out. Try it.