Wake-Up Call: Open Source LMS

Re: Wake-Up Call: Open Source LMS

by Ken Pernada -
Number of replies: 0

I don't know how to positively react to what you said, Mr. Claude: I'm merely a student programmer who had seen a Moodle based LMS. As a student, curiosity is a big thing and though it may not be anticipated by teachers, students somehow throw somewhat stupid sounding questions that actually make sense like  "Sir, who made the system that we are using?" or "Sir, what is the system made of?".  The email posted by Samuel said:

From an ethical standpoint, it is more complicated. In principle, I agree with you that we should acknowledge and support Moodle. Toward this end, over the past year we have made some small financial contributions to Moodle.org, and plan to make more when/if we should actually profit on this venture.

Regarding acknowledgement: At this point our LMS is only about 50-60% Moodle; the rest being code that we developed for our internal use only. (The screen shots on our site are way out of date.) I would not want anyone to think we are just reselling Moodle as-is and so am reluctant to put the Moodle logo there.

Though I am not a contributor or anything (yet) I think it would somehow insult me with the way the said statements were delivered. Would you simply take it that you have to be silenced because someone made a donation to Moodle.org, despite the fact that they created a system based from  Moodle yet they conceal the fact from their clients, and a top official is making statements that the GUI sucks? Where is honoring in that?