Quick "available standard fonts list" question

Quick "available standard fonts list" question

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello themers and Happy Eastersmile Quick question  - I am playing with Essential and on the Font screen,for Standard fonts, it says "choose from the list of available font types". What list? The only list I can find by doing an admin search is the list in the TinyMCE editor settings, but not in Atto.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Quick "available standard fonts list" question

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mary,

Good question.  I think the text is confusing / not specific enough.  You type in the names of the fonts that are already installed on the client's computer as standard.  So in Windows, this is the list of 'Fonts' on the 'Control Panel' on the users' computer.  So prick ones that are installed by default.  The theme does not serve any font files.

G

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah - so I am sort of more confused now (not your fault!)  - so what standard fonts are most likely to be available for most people then? And what if your computer isn't Windows?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I believe that the setting functionality was originally created for the situation where the IT department would control the list of fonts installed on the machines and thus know this information.

To be honest I don't know what the standard fonts are on Windows or other OS's / Mobiles etc.  Would have to Google it.

If the font is not there, then the theme does default back to this list: "Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; and so should be at least one installed.

by Gareth J Barnard -

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, back to Essential, looks like the text 'Choose from the list of available font types.' pertains to the selector and is confusing.  And so is 'Standard fonts', should really be 'Client installed fonts'.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Or even 'User fonts'.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Now changed to:

Choose from the list of available font defining mechanisms:

• 'User fonts' are where the font is already installed at the users machine and you just specify its name.
  • 'Google web fonts' are where you find a font on 'Google web fonts' and specify its name.
  • 'Custom fonts' are where you specify the name and upload the font files for the font.

Please save to show the options for your choice.

Hopefully that will help.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The fonts on most computers are universal like Arial which is a sans-serif font. So the basic list could just be Arial, sans-serif.

However, if there are specific fonts you need to add to the theme so that these can be used in the presentation within the pages such as headers then these fonts can be added to the theme together with the necessary font CSS

Cheers

Mary