Essential gradebook: static rows issue

Essential gradebook: static rows issue

by David Dunn -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle 3.0.2+ (Build: 20160121)

Essential theme 3.0.1 (Build: 2016010205)

Hi,

A faculty member has reported the following issue: When viewing the gradebook, the supposedly static top and bottom rows are out of position. There are student names visible above the supposedly static top row, and again below the supposedly static bottom row (see attached screenshot). He is using Windows 7, and has seen the issue using latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.

I cannot replicate the issue using Windows 10, Firefox or Chrome. For me the static rows remain in place ( I note there is slight row misalignment as the browser window is reduced in size, but this is a minor detail).

Can anyone else replicate this issue? Or suggest how my colleague can resolve it?

- David

Attachment MoodleScrollProblem.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Dunn

Re: Essential gradebook: static rows issue

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Ok, that area of CSS / JS etc. is particularly difficult.  It is something I checked when I created the version of the theme for M3.0.  The floating row positions can change when the window is resized after loading or depending on the position of the vertical scroll bar.  All a bit of a 'black art'.

• What changes have you made to the theme?
  • Do you get the same issue in the Clean theme?
  • What steps do I need to perform to replicate the issue?

In the immediate future I cannot suggest a solution.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Cannot replicate on Win-7 on Chrome Version 49.0.2623.87 m (64-bit):

Attachment 2016-03-17 18_02_56-Grades_ View.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, replicated once on Firefox 45.0 on Win 7 - but then changed window size and things sorted themselves out.  Was not able to replicate again.  So with no reliable repeatable method, more information is needed to understand what is going on and why.  So if you discover a means of reliably replicating, then please state so.

Attachment 2016-03-17 18_06_45-Grades_ View.png

by Gareth J Barnard -

Humm.  Ok, a bit more investigation reveals this hunch:

• Load page at top, scroll down, then try, issue happens.
  • Scroll page, reload page, then try, issue does not happen.
  • Scroll page, reload page, scroll to top, issue happens.
  • Load page at top, then try, issue does not happen.

Thus, it appears (given recent work in this area for knowledge) that the 'affix' of the navbar changing from position of static to fixed and vice versa when scrolling is confusing the core JS as it only takes into account things at page load.  As the height of the navbar being taken in and out of the DOM offset calculations.

Raised: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/641 - but I don't have a solution.  Do you please?

by Gareth J Barnard -