Firefox behat failures with overlapping elements

Firefox behat failures with overlapping elements

by Mark Johnson -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm experimenting with running tests using Firefox on our CI server, but I'm seeing lots of failures for tests that pass in Chrome.

Looking at the error messages, the failures are due to overlapping elements, and looking at the screenshots, it appears that the header bar is overlapping links that are trying to be clicked.  In the attached screenshot, the step "I turn editing mode off" was attempted, but the bar was overlapping the button.

As I understand it, "Browser specific fixes" are in place to stop this happening, but they aren't applied to Firefox as they weren't required. Can anyone explain the issue I'm seeing?

I've tried both Firefox 38 and 45 ESR versions with the same result, running on RHEL7 64 bit.

Attachment Add-some-activities_I-press-Turn-editing-off-.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Johnson

Re: Firefox behat failures with overlapping elements

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I can also reproduce this behaviour on Windows 7 with Firefox 44. I'm running Selenium 2.52.0 on both systems.

In reply to Mark Johnson

by Mark Johnson -

In answer to my own question, I retried the test with the Browser/Selenium version combination recommended on https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Acceptance_testing/Browsers and it works, so it looks like the fix for scrolling an element in to view doesn't work with the latest selenium.

Edit: I've just been pointed at MDL-52839 MDL-52970 which suggests this is fixed in the latest Moodle code, so please feel free to throw this thread in the bin smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Johnson

by Rajesh Taneja -

That's right Mark,

This whole chain of failing started after Selenium 2.48.0 was released. Also https://github.com/SeleniumHQ/selenium/issues/1202 is the most commented issue on selenium which they tried to fix over in next 3 months by releasing 9 versions.

As you can see the latest version of moodle now has a fix applied for all browsers, so it won't be an issue anymore.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)