Verify if files with specific extensions are contained within archive

Verify if files with specific extensions are contained within archive

by Mateusz Kędzior -
Number of replies: 1

Hello Moodle users,

I use Assignments for sending archived folder which contains Visual Studio solution.

Description of the assignment contains appropriate hints.
Nevertheless, sometimes student send me for example only one file from the solution (in most cases it will be file with .sln extension) or most important files for their grades (which contains their code) are not attached.

Is it possible to adjust Assignment properties, so that:

• Moodle will verify if student tries to send an archive which contains files with specific extensions,
  • If mentioned files are not present, display information that student will receive 0 points and allow to discard sending files

If this is not possible, maybe there's another way to help students learn how to prepare correct archive?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mateusz Kędzior

Re: Verify if files with specific extensions are contained within archive

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Is this really a 'human requirement' rather than a technical one?

If the students upload a short paragraph or draft to a text file assignment submission, we wouldn't expect Moodle to determine that it isn't the correct submission, we would expect the students to take that responsibility. Likewise here. I would expect the students to take responsibility for their submission - maybe giving them a checklist to work through to ensure they have everything in place. Surely students using Visual Basic can be expected to ensure the correct files are in a zip archive before submitting it?

Linked but not directly related

We had a discussion in a seminar I was running a week ago, about expectations of students (university level) complaining about workload and assessment requirements and staff not allowing them to reload submissions when they had uploaded the 'wrong file'. And one of the staff pointed out that one of the aims of the teaching we provide is to get the students ready for the workplace. If, when they go to work, the students are given a deadline and a task requirement, will their line manager or client be happy to inspect the zip archive they have paid for and return it as not containing the correct files for a second attempt? Part of the requirement should be to ensure the correct work is submitted at the correct time, including the contents of the zip that is the required submission. Reading instructions and complying with them correctly, including what to submit, should be an integral part of the assessment.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)