Question about Offline Assignments

Question about Offline Assignments

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 6

In an offline assignment, what is the difference in the teacher's view between the two times shown for each student in the "View Assignment Grades and Feedback" screen?  I am not clear on this.

Here is an example:

Shin Young Oh  Last modified: Friday, 3 October 2003, 05:51 PM (3 days 17 hours late)
This essay was submitted late.

The due date of this offline assignment is different again, at Wednesday 1 October!  I'm totally lost.  blush.gif

Please help clear this up for me, a student asked me about this recently.

TIA,    smiley.gif

Tim.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Question about Offline Assignments

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The first date is the date they last submitted that assignment, which was 3 days and 17 hours after the due date.  Late assignments have that time difference printed in red.

The second date is the date you assessed that assignment and provided the feedback.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Allen -

Thanks a lot for your reply Martin  approve.gif

However, how does the time of submission get recorded?  As it is an offline assignment, there must be some place where the teacher can put this information in manually, but I'm not sure where...

It's probably something childishly simple that I've missed or that I'm not understanding shy.gif

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
My apologies - it's ME that missed the obvious ... you wrote OFFLINE assignment several times and I didn't even see it. blush.gif Of course there is no real submission date for an offline assignment.

(Martin looks through code)

OK, the date that gets put in as the "last modified" date for each student is the time at the moment when you first submit an assessment for that student. This date does not get updated on subsequent assessments (but of course the second one, the assessment date, does get updated to reflect the last assessment).

I believe the original scenario I had in mind was that the student completes the assignment in person (say, an oral presentation in class) and the teacher enters their initial assessment at that moment, and so it makes sense to record and show the "submission" date. However, since this scenario is probably a very small minority - it might make sense to not display that time at all for offline assignments ... does everyone agree?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tim Allen -

No problems Martin smiley.gif

OK I understand it better now. 

I use moodle as an online complement to face-to-face classes, and one of the great benefits is that it improves communication between my students for various things, including such things as attendance and homework.  For example, if the students can check their own attendance online then they can dispute it early and it can be sorted out before it's too late.  It makes things more democratic and encourages students to take greater responsibility for their own learning because they have access to information that they otherwise wouldn't (at least not in as accessible and flexible a form). The display of grades and especially feedback for all the class' work is another case in point.

For the same reason I always include an assignment link for every piece of homework that gets assigned to the class - whether or not it is an online one (most of them are offline).  I am a language teacher and sometimes students have comprehension problems in understanding the requirements of the teacher.  If students need to check up a detail about the homework they can do so on the website rather than coming to me - this frees up my time to help students in more substantial and important ways.

For these reasons I can see a need for indicating on the website whether a submission for an offline assignment is on time or late.  This would give even more feedback to the student regarding his work, other than the grade and qualitative feedback.  Of course, this would also require that the module be modified to allow the manual input of this information.  Martin I know how busy you are and also that this is probably not that important a feature in the scheme of things, but nonetheless it would improve the module considerably I think.

Until such functionality may or may not be included in moodle, I would agree that it would be better to remove the "Last modified" date as it is quite confusing and misleading in an offline assignment methinks.  I use offline assignments mainly for work submitted on paper.  As it stands now, if I give the feedback after the due date, the "Last modified" date is shown as being late, which gives the appearance that the work was submitted late, which is not correct - and of course I always do the feedback after the due date, never before.

I'd be interested in any other comments on this.

PS Thanks Martin for a great resource for educators and especially for its commitment to social constructivist modes of learning.  approve.gif

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Tim Allen -

I'm wondering if there are any more comments about the issues in this thread.  In particular, I think it would be a good idea if, at the very least, the display of dates be changed as suggested by Martin:

"I believe the original scenario I had in mind was that the student completes the assignment in person (say, an oral presentation in class) and the teacher enters their initial assessment at that moment, and so it makes sense to record and show the "submission" date. However, since this scenario is probably a very small minority - it might make sense to not display that time at all for offline assignments ... does everyone agree?"

Has a decision been taken on this Martin?  Any other comments?  Maybe very few teachers use the "offline assignments" feature, but I for one find it an excellent complement to face-to-face classes, to enhance communication and information sharing about assigned homework...

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Martin Dougiamas -
As I recall this was fixed some time ago in CVS, though I never posted about it (sorry).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)