Course Menu Plugin | a recent version

Course Menu Plugin | a recent version

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 9

Here: https://moodle.org/plugins/block_course_menu

It is a little out of date on GIT

Alex sent us a version.  We are using it at the moment with 3.1 on a live server.

I've had a few requests for a copy of the file.

Attached.

Of course, use at your own risk.  It has some small bugs (over flow of text to the page area) but Alex has asked for details and I think it will be fixed.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Course Menu Plugin | a recent version

by Clément Prudhomme -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thank you very much Derek to share this update with us.
We are going to test on your Moodle.

Best regards.

Clément

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The text overflow should be easy to fix, it just needs something like the rules below added to the appropriate selector

overflow:hidden;
    text-overflow:ellipsis;

Or of course, it could be made to wrap instead.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Derek Chirnside -

Ahh, a little bit of relevant geek talk.  Cool, thanks Richard.  I've passed this on to Alex.

Wonderful world this ecosystem of OS.  Today at least.  Tuesday was not so good.

-Derek

by Richard Oelmann -

If 'Tuesday was not so good' refers to the comments in the other thread https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=327560#p1319925, then I completely apologise if I gave the impression I was being anything other than helpful, simply that I was not at the time in a position to test this block against my theme. The block as it is publicly available is only compatible upto 2.5 (and did indeed cause a second test site I set up especially to look at it for you to crash) and my theme in its current version) does not support anything before Mdl3.0 (and even in the v1 doesn't go back further than Mdl2.7)

I will, and have in the past, installed and tested my theme against specific plugins that users have requested information about, but cannot test against all 3rd party plugins, especially those not declared as compatible with the versions of Moodle I'm working with (and where my theme doesn't go back to the version that the plugin does support.) And while it is very useful that you have now added the zip to this forum, so we can look at it, Alex's plugin page still only reports upto Mdl2.5 and has no link to his github or any source code to allow anyone (other than yourselves with the updated block supplied) to test against it.

Richard

by Derek Chirnside -

Perish the thought Richard!!  Not at all, and nothing to do with Moodle.org, just the usual M$ vs OS stuff, and IT dept priorities.

To be very clear Richard, you have been nothing but helpful, I am fully aware of all the issues around plugin A and Theme B not playing nicely etc etc, and the issues are not terminal (whats a bit of text overflow really matter) and hopefully the guys at Net Sapiensis and Alex are onto it, and Flexibase is working out great.  I appreciate your response with Course Menu.

I'm just a bit behind in everything with our Moodle at the moment, I need another server soon for another project, I still owe a decent review of FlexiBase latest, we now run three (three!!) themes on our server to get everyone with their needs met, in one department they want the 1GIG student limit upload increased (which is an IT dept problem and me in the middle) and to add to it all the students have returned en masse.  That's the point after all.

-Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Richard Oelmann -

Phew smile

Im just waiting for HQ to sort out a few issues with the code checker before releasing a minor update (new setting to display marketing spots as large icon/text rather than as a block and tidied/refactored code), but I'll write more on the flexibase thread when I hear from HQ about the code checker smile

As soon as that happens I'll try to get another child theme of the latest version for Bob sorted too smile

by Clément Prudhomme -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi,

Here is a little feedback about course menu plugin. In my case, I use just to display a course menu (with "expandable tree" options) like this :

Section 1

> Activity/resource

> Activity/resource

Section 2

> Activity/resource

Section 3

> Activity/resource

> Activity/resource

> Activity/resource

It works fine and I don't see any bug or display problem. I think this plugin make a good job. Many people are seeking an alternative to the "Navigation" block of Moodle. That is why I am surprised that it is not used anymore.

The main improvements for me on this extension would be:

- The ability to see active resource or activity (like in navigation block of Moodle). We can see active sections but not with activity or resource.

- Automatic closing the drop of a section menu when we click on another section or resouce/activity of an other section.

Thank again Derek to share this file.

Regards.

Clément

In reply to Clément Prudhomme

Re: Course Menu Plugin | questions about ettiquette

by Derek Chirnside -

What is the ettiquette about GIT, developers, forking etc.

I've not heard back from Alex regarding Course menu in over a month since I emailed him with the details (in response to his offer to fix), and over three months since I posted an issue in GIT.  Git issue here: https://github.com/netsapiensis/moodle-block_course_menu

On doing a little digging I suspect Alex is not the coder.  Although I could be wrong.  There is another coder https://github.com/radugroza who has worked on this project, but I can't even find how this equates to a real name, and I cannot find any way to PM on GIT.  He was last active last week, so he is still around.  https://github.com/netsapiensis is another contributor.

Usman asked in 2014 about getting the version updated in GIT so it was a little easier.  I asked in 2015.  Is this a bit job to update GIT?  

We have now reached the stage where even GIT has not been updated and we have a version which Alex mailed us which does not relate to GIT.  So if I fix that, we have GIT out of date and a patched version of Course Menu floating around in the wild.  Sort of defeats the purpose of GIT.

So my questions include:

• Convention/etiquette wise: Should we try to contact coders via GIT?  Can we even do it?
  • Is it the done thing just to take the code and fork it, and then try to find someone to help with the fix?
  • Is it easy or hard to update GIT?  Why is there a whole bunch of projects on the database that are just not up to date with what people have tested and GIT versions?

And I know the answer may be it depends.  smile

People just get busy.  People also get disorgansied.  They forget.  I know what it is like to pick up code I had not worked on for 8 years and try to fix.  We get a lot of emails. I know we are in a complex ecosystem of business and personal input into this OS project and it relies on good will and other attributes.

With regards

-Derek

EDIT: I just noticed in the read.me that there was another address at NetSapiensis to contact, so I have done this.
I also added another issue onto GIT to be consistent and have everyting located in one place.  https://github.com/netsapiensis/moodle-block_course_menu/issues/20

Re: Course Menu Plugin | questions about ettiquette

by Richard Oelmann -

You can really only suggest pull requests to the main github repository for the plugin, unless it is one you actually have editing rights over. It's up to the repository 'owner' to actually manage those issues and pull requests.

One option would be to fork it to your own repository where you can make your own code changes and make those publicly available. Although this would not be the github on moodle database unless you were to actually take over the plugin from Alex.