Mp4 can not play on Moodle Mobile

Mp4 can not play on Moodle Mobile

by Christopher Do -
Number of replies: 24

I have Moodle 3.0, and install the newest app on my cell phone. The videos are MP4, downloaded from my videos on Youtube, and uploaded to Moodle. On the desktop, the videos are playable, but not on the app. It shows the play button there but nothing happens when you push the button. I appreciate some help on this. Thank you very much.

Christopher

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christopher Do

Re: Mp4 can not play on Moodle Mobile

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Christopher,

but how are you uploading the videos in Moodle? Using the resource/file module? or are you embedding the videos?

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Christopher Do -

Hi Juan

I clicked the Media button on the toolbar in the editor, select an MP4 video and uploaded. 

Thank you,

Christopher

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Christopher,

we are trying to reproduce it, which mobile operating system do you use? Android, iOs and what version? you see the problem in a phone/tablet or both?

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

I just created this bug: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-1422

We'll fix it for the next release (end of this month)

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Christopher Do -

Hi Juan

I was just wondering if there has been an update. Today I re-installed the app, then tried the videos again. Still they are not working.

Thank you,

Christopher

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Christopher,

we fixed it for both Android and iOs but:

- It seems that the new version for iOs with the fix is still not published

- We just detected a couple of days ago a new case in Android that we'll fix for the next release

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Mike Rudman -

Hi Guy's 

Don't want to divert this thread, simply having the very similar issue and thought it would save starting another discussion

I have a Moodle Scorm package 1.2, embedded videos are mp4

Fine on PC

Following on Android: via the moodle mobile app

1) HTC M8 Android M, video plays but no sound

2) Samsung Tab S2, audio plays but no video, just a black screen?

3) Iphone 6, all works fine so that's one!

I've update Moodle to latest.

Cheers

Mike

PS would be happy to provide the zip or give access to our site to test

In reply to Mike Rudman

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Mike,

access to your site (test user account enrolled in the course with SCORM) will be great, please, send the details to mobile@moodle.com

Please, reference this post (include the link) in the email so we can find quickly the problem.

Juan

In reply to Mike Rudman

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mike,

thank you for providing access to your site. I think the problem is with the videos themselves, maybe they include some codec not compatible with Android or something.

I downloaded the videos from the SCORMs "Introduction" and "Introduction to the FGCC", copied them to my Android phone (using Android 6) and I'm unable play them using Android's video player or another video player app. I accessed your site using Chrome browser in Android and they aren't played either.

I also tried to create a SCORM with a working mp4 video inside and it worked fine.

So my advice is to try to make videos compatible with Android first, and then try if they work inside the Moodle Mobile app.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Mike Rudman -

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for taking a look. I can play the MP4s on Android using VLC or MXplayer but not the native Samsung video player or in Moodle Mobile.

I generated the SCORM package in Adobe Captivate. It uses FLV /F4V videos and then "converts" into MP4 when generating the HTML5  SCORM output.

Having the same problem in Firefox desktop, will have to have a play around with the video encoding and try again. It's weird that i get video natively on HTC M8 but no audio and the opposite on the Samsung!

Thanks

Mike

In reply to Juan Leyva

by shipra chauhan -

Hi Jaun,

I downloaded the latest  IOS app from github but still facing the same problem of not playing videos.....its only showing loading image. While for android its working file. 

Any update for IOS.

Thanks

Shipra

In reply to shipra chauhan

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Shipra,

please try to play that video in Safari browser in the iOS device. That way you will verify if the device supports the video.

If it works in Safari browser, please send us a test account to mobile@moodle.com so we can take a look. Please tell us where are the videos in your site.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Christopher Do -

Hi Juan

Sorry for the late reply. I tried on several devices and the experiences were very different

1. Samsung Galaxy (Android 4.4.2): Videos are not working. It looks like a static image with the play button. Nothing happens when I touch it.

2. iPhone (IOS 9.2.1): Same as above

3. iPad (IOS 7.0.6): Using the same user, after typing in the username and the password, then hit "Go" on the keyboard, it goes back to the screen asking the site URL.

For 1 &2: I then insert a Youtube video, the video run but no audio (weird) on both iPhone and Sample Galaxy tablet. I stop the video, check the volume and it is at max. Once I run the video again, the volume is muted. This is weird.

Thank you,

Christopher

In reply to Juan Leyva

回复: Re: Mp4 can not play on Moodle Mobile

by wz z -

I use resource/file method to upload my mp4 file. It always show as below. My moodle version, mobile app version and iOS version are all the newest.

always loading when touch "Open the file"

In reply to wz z

Re: 回复: Re: Mp4 can not play on Moodle Mobile

by Antony Barela -

i having soo similar issue.I upload Html5 slideshows as Scorm package and i have no sound on (Android)Tablet,with desktop and phones(booth Android and Iphone).

When i uplload it as plain(without moodle) its works fine.

How can i overcome this issue?

In reply to Antony Barela

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Antony,

for the next version will be installing a plugin that improves how the sound in the app is handled, is not directly related to this issue but maybe it would help.

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Antony Barela -

Hello Juan,

thank you for your quick answer.

I could not edit my previous post but to be correct:Its works on desktop,android phone,iphone

but does not want on (android) tablet(i could not test on ipad).

I think that the problem is with Scorm Player but i can not do any debug(therefor i can not make any repair on it ) on it and it is really embarrassing.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Antony Barela -
I made some tries to find out what the problem is:
I updated the latest moodle version,it has still no sound but finally i am able to use in full screen mode
But i find that the problem is not with moodle but with Chrome Android with native Lenovo browser i have well sound on the moodle course!
In reply to Antony Barela

by puneet jhingan -

Hello All,

Could the dev team please update all on the current position on Mp4 video play on moodle mobile app.

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Rahul Kadam -

I need help.

I am using moodle cloud 3.3. 

I have linked youtube video in my lesson, which works perfectly fine in on my PC.

When it comes to playing on android app, i cant click on play button. It is not working. I have tried it on multiple mobile phones.

Thanks in advance 

In reply to Rahul Kadam

by Dani Palou -

Thanks Rahul for reporting this,

I opened an issue to fix it:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-2155

We'll try to fix it for the next release of the app.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Innocent Sizwe -

hi guys

Im currently using web service core_files_upload api moodle version 3.3.

It saved the corrupted video contenthash and therefore i cannot play the video.

Thanks

In reply to Innocent Sizwe

by Dani Palou -

Hi,

the app doesn't use that WebService. We send the file to the URL:

SITEURL/webservice/upload.php

When the file is uploaded, we call the right WebService to move this file to the final area (using the draftid returned by the upload). For example: core_user_add_user_private_files

Kind regards,

Dani