Cannot add more than one user when opening multiple dialogues

Cannot add more than one user when opening multiple dialogues

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

When starting a new dialogue and already having added one user (out of several), and are trying to add another user to open a dialogue with, there's no result in the "People" field.

I have the impression that this should be possible?

I am using Moodle 2.8.7+ and Dialogue 2.8 (2014112601)

Dialogue

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Cannot add more than one user when opening multiple dialogues

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Peter,

I noticed the exact same problem with Dialogue 3.0(2015111600) on Moodle 3.0.2+ yesterday when trying to see if I could set it up so that students could only create a dialogue with teachers. I just checked and I see Dialogue 2.9(2015051101) on Moodle 2.9.3+ is also having the same problem.

Edit: Something does appear to be wrong because if you delete the first recipient, you cannot then add another one.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Peter Diedrichs -

OK, I have added this to the dialogue tracker: https://github.com/wcel/moodle-mod_dialogue/issues/39

by Jacob Bak -

Hi 

I am having the same problem and would love an answer how to make it work. 

according to this link and setup description it is possible to make a dialogue with more than one person.

http://www.mq.edu.au/iLearn/resources/dialogue.htm 

Jacob

Social og sundhedskolen STV

Denmark

by Troy Williams -
Picture of Plugin developers

The dialogue module is for conversations between two people. The capability 'mod/dialogue:replyany' exists which can be used to allow any teacher to reply to any student. 

The forum module may be better option for conversations between many people.

In reply to Troy Williams

by Jacob Bak -

Hi Troy

The forum is a better choice for dialogue between more persons except when the dialogue needs to be private.

On my school we ask the students to write a personal learning log the log is theirs and the other students should not be able to see it only the student and the tescher(s) assigned the class. for now the dialogue module have been a very good tool because the dialogue between teacher and student is private. 

we would very much like if at all posible if a student could add 2 or more teachers to a dialogue because then the LOG would still be private for the student and the teachers would all be able to read and reply to their thoughts and ideas.

I have tried using repley all and viewall but now all teachers on my school can view and reply to alle students logs and that is not a solution. 

jacob

In reply to Jacob Bak

by Troy Williams -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jacob,

This may depend on how your Moodle is setup.  If you have teachers setup in the system context then and have allowed them 'viewall' and 'replyall' capability then I suspect any teacher in Moodle can enter any course and view /reply to any dialogue. If teachers have been setup in course context only teachers in that particular course can view / reply to any dialogue.

Troy

by Peter Diedrichs -

I misunderstood the options, thought it should be possible to bulk open dialogues with selected users.