Is Moodle Programming course credible stil now ?

Is Moodle Programming course credible stil now ?

by Devang Gaur -
Number of replies: 3
Hi there ,
I am new and looking out to contribute , is Intro to Moodle Programming (http://dev.moodle.org/course/view.php?id=2)course still credible enough to guide me with all the moodle development process . It says :
"This course was designed for Moodle 1.8 and is no longer up-to-date. Please refer to our developer documentation for information on recent Moodle versions. "

So, is it uselesss now ? Not completely for sure I guess .

Need opinions/advices/suggestions.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Devang Gaur

Re: Is Moodle Programming course credible stil now ?

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Some of that course might be vaguely useful for background information, but, if it is for Moodle 1.8, much of it will be useless for developing against Moodle 2.0+ (never mind Moodle 3.0+).

As it says in the link at the top, the Moodle dev docs are a much better starting point, as is Tim Hunt's introduction at: http://aosabook.org/en/moodle.html

In reply to Davo Smith

by Devang Gaur -
What about the directory structure part ? Any major changes since 1.8  ?
I was following the other links only . But the course would have been a gem of a guide.
In reply to Devang Gaur

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, some of the directory structure stuff is still valid (e.g. blocks are still found in 'blocks/', activities are still found in 'mod/', capabilities + DB structures are still found in 'myplugin/db'), but not all of it is correct (e.g. language files go in 'myplugin/lang/en' not 'myplugin/lang/en_utf8', there are many new files that go in 'myplugin/db').

In addition, the database API, files API and logging API have all completely changed; automatic class loading is strongly encouraged, instead of using locallib.php; the context API has changed.