Redundant Moodle Application

Redundant Moodle Application

by Matt Polaniecki -
Number of replies: 4
I have my Moodle 2.9 db running on a clustered MYSQL server and this working great. I now need to set up redundancy for the application. If Moodle 1 goes down, Moodle 2 should pick things up and be fine.

How can I set this up?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Polaniecki

Re: Redundant Moodle Application

by Jeff White -

Your asking a fairly loaded question that is missing A LOT of details before it can be answered. There are thousands of posts like this so I would do some heavy digging in documentation and in the forums. I would do A LOT of research while  designing your LAMP cluster that will fit your business needs and limitations.

Follow the documentation on setting up Moodle for the cluster. https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Server_cluster 

How is your DB set up, Master vs Master or Master vs Slave set up? 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

+1

It depends on precisely what you want/need to achieve. A "simple" load-balanced scenario will give you quite a bit of redundancy but there are still significant single-points-of-failure. Plus adding any kind of additional complexity itself increases the chances of it all going wrong. 

It's only Moodle which I've never known to be life and death. How much redundancy could you need?

In reply to Howard Miller

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In my experience an extended failure of internet connectivity is at least as likely as a failure of one of the systems that Moodle relies on. I agree with Howard, more complexity can mean more points of failure. I spent about six months chasing down a problem caused by the installation of a solution that was supposed to enhance performance and resilience. 

I understand the theory of not putting all your eggs in one basket, but there is something to be said for getting a very good basket. Would anyone like an analogy on any other topic?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Albert Ramsbottom -

To answer the the OP question, you will need a fast NFS, SMB share so you can share your moodledata folder and a second server with your moodle application on it.

Or use a clustered file system such as OCFS2

You can use Apache Balance Manager to load balance your moodle web nodes

You will probably need a third server outside of network to act as the gateway.  Apache can be used for this

Albert