Course navigation menu with sections and activities

Course navigation menu with sections and activities

by Susana L. -
Number of replies: 2

Does anyone know if there is a moodle course navigation menu to let you see ONLY topics/sections and their activities?

I found the "course contents" block, which is very useful. But what I really needed was a simple course navigation block with links for topics and their activities. Something like the open2study menu... or edx course menus. That way students could have all course topics and activities in a navigation menu (collapsible) instead of having it on page main content area. The page main content area would be used to show only the content.

Do you have any thoughts on how to achieve this?

Thank you!
susana

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susana L.

Re: Course navigation menu with sections and activities

by Derek Chirnside -

Susana, Have you seen course menu?  https://moodle.org/plugins/block_course_menu

This is with the Flexibase theme (with all the admin stuff at the top in the AwesomeBar) and I'm experimenting with removing the next and previous links.

The menu can be configured to have chapters, with links, and any other links you want as well.  (I;m a minimalist - I just show one - participants)

I have a dev site you can see if you like.  PM me.

Snap theme is the only other Theme I know of with any navigation options.  It has section navigation at the top that did not quite work for us.  Takes up too much screen space.

I've posted in this here, https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=323863 and there is a great blog.

Good luck.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Course navigation menu with sections and activities

by Derek Chirnside -

This is a PS.

Both BCU and Pioneer developers (each in radically different ways) have indicated they may do something to consider the navigation issues.

• BCU has indicated they may ditch the problematical menus for something else.
  • Chris K has indicated a floating left menu that moves may be an option.

I can give refs if you want.

-Derek