Shoehorn beta updated for Moodle 3.0

Shoehorn beta updated for Moodle 3.0

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers,

Please get the theme from: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=10160

It has:

1. Fix Quiz > Edit quiz -> Edit maximum mark.
  2. Fix all blocks when docked #13.
  3. RTL tidy up.
  4. Dock tidy up.
  5. Travis CI -> https://travis-ci.org/gjb2048/moodle-theme_shoehorn.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Shoehorn beta updated for Moodle 3.0 | Comments

by Derek Chirnside -

I've finally got to having a play with this theme.

Again, I do not claim to be an expert, in fact even less so with this theme.  I did not understand quite a few of the settings.

Here goes, simple bullet points . . . .

1. Loaded the theme, then set about fiddling with the settings.  It comes by default quite full of colour, which I wanted to wash out a little.  I lightened the background colour.  I was then unable to figure out how to set the colour for the header, which by default is white.

2. FONTS There are two overall types of font, headings and text.  I could not get these to work.  It says 'enter the exact name of the font', but the ones I chose didn't work.  

But I like the choice and simplicity of setting like this.

3. Further down the same setting page it was not so clear.  I could not figure out what fonts for body were, why there were several options and if I put something in both, which one will win.

4. And there are some strange abbreviations.  Strange to me at least.  Google is your friend.  I had to search for a number of words here.  eg WOFF.

So, with all these font options you can obviously make your typography look really cool.  Now I know why Gareth has his font of the month.

5. Site pages.  Built in.  I had not seen this in a theme before.  This is kind of common sense.  You will always have some pages at site level.  Really good.

And a fancy uploading images function as well.  Really really cool.  Save a lot of silly fiddling.

6. GETTING HELP At this stage I had exhausted my ability to fiddle productively.  So (sigh!) RTFM.  This is where things got interesting.  No written help, so to the videos.  I was fine with video 1 until it said I needed node.js, and then grunt.  I had misunderstood "Customising Shoehorn for Production"

At that stage I stopped watching.  

On to video 2.  The first thing it said is watch video 1.  So I abandoned that also.  smile  I was expecting "Customising Shoehorn for newbies"  I bet I have missed the video somewhere for this.

7. TILES IN SECTIONS VIEW. At the section level: documents shown as tiles, running across the page.  This is interesting.  The first time I had seen this is in the Snap theme.

8. Plugins: Generico OK
And also styles in the styles plugin from ATTO

9. Plugins: Tabs filter OK

10. Course menu.  Not so good.  Firstly I could not get the sidebar to the left.  There seemed to be no setting for this.  Nice and very cool styling of the blocks.

11. Editing roadblock: Then with a course with Course menu in it it is not possible to edit unless you are on the Course main page, which I couldn't find how to show.  So course menu does not play well with this theme, or at least I could not figure it out.  Or maybe any single section view is not editable.

12. ACCORDION BLOCKS   In the settings there is a reference to accordion blocks.  I could not understand this until a bit of trial and error.  Unfortunately this is another way Course menu and Shoehorn don't co-exist well.  As far as my fiddling went.  What this means is that blocks get hidden and appear on a click.  Great for removing clutter.  But when you want OFF for one significant block, you are out of luck.

12. This course, a dropdown at course level.  Now this dropdown I really like.  I first saw it in Flexibase.

My rationale is that it is very intuitive, and you can change the terms in it if you wish, and it's there at one click: grades, assignments, forums etc.
On the other hand, if yo.u want these more available and you use course menu, they are all selectable to show in the course menu block.

13. Other formats: Onetopic.  Not too good out of the box.  Probably easy to fix, did not wrap.

14.  BUT, with Onetopic, editing was possible even when not on the course main page:

I think this theme is about fonts, bootstrap, but as of yet you still need to be in the cognoscenti and do a fair bit of fiddling to find your way around.  I was a bit surprised to see talk of grunt and node.js in the first video.  Maybe a little more help text Gareth could make it easier for us lower down the food chain.  It is also about responsiveness (there is some video stuff in here as well to be responsive) and there are settings like transparency in the front page,  I suspect I need to get help to use these.

It's got cool next and previous sliders, but no built in way to choose another non-adjacent section to go to.

The complexity of some of these interactions can work against other plugins, specifically Onetopic and Course menu.  But I suspect easy to fix.  I'm not sure what is different or the same with Essential.

I did not dabble in the branding, banners, marketing etc.  Maybe another time.

My 2c worth.

Taking a break now from Themes.  smile

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Derek,

Firstly, thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to review Shoehorn.

Shoehorn for M3.0 is still beta so may indeed have snags to be fixed, something I am working on.

To answer each point:

1. No setting for that yet.
  2. When you download a font, say: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/fira-sans-condensed then you enter the name of the font and you get some files (which if the licence is ok, you can generate the other types like eot, woff, woff2 etc. - http://www.fontsquirrel.com/tools/webfont-generator).  Some downloaded font packs have them all.
  3. Then you upload the appropriate file.  Ignore the setting name, that is an internal thing.
  4. Thank you, an idea from looking at other websites where global pages are helpful.
  5. Created a while back before I added some of the colour settings.  Still appropriate for theme developers and brave tinkerers to adapt the theme.  There is no 'Customising Shoehorn for Newbies', however my iMoot 2015 presentation would be an excellent place to start: www.slideshare.net/gb2048/theme-customisation-for-beginners and
  6. From memory, this comes from Julian's Elegance theme.
  7. smile
  8. smile
  9. Layouts are currently fixed from the UI point of view.  Have to change the PHP files.
  10. Only happens with courses with 'one section per page' as I could not figure out how to have a slider that was editable.
  11. Ok, I'll think about how one specific block can be non-accordion.  There is an excellent article on MoodleNews: http://www.moodlenews.com/2014/shoehorn-theme-beta-gets-a-few-more-features/.
  12. Borrowed and improved from Essential from BCU.
  13. Being contributed (and there is only  so many combinations I can check), I've not tested with OneTopic course format.
  14. Ditto.

I'm surprised that you did not cover the awesome features of:

• Footer menu.
  • Syntax highlighting.
  • Administrator user load chart.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

P.S.

RE: It's got cool next and previous sliders, but no built in way to choose another non-adjacent section to go to.

Yes, there is, use the carousel slide indicators smile.

RE: I'm not sure what is different or the same with Essential.

Differrent to Essential:

• Accordion blocks.
  • Slider for one section per page.
  • Syntax Highlighting.
  • Footer menu.
  • Image bank.
  • Bootstrap V3.
  • Site pages.

smile

by Gareth J Barnard -

P.P.S.

Page header background text colour setting in next version.

by Derek Chirnside -

Gareth, thanks for your comments, a quick response:

You say: 

I'm surprised that you did not cover the awesome features of:

• Footer menu.
    Point taken.  It is great!!

• Syntax highlighting.
    HMM.  I noticed this reference in your plugins page, and I searched and found it, but didn't understand it.  I did not want to say I did not know what syntax highlighting was - it just slipped off my comments.  I never changed it to 'Yes' (below) since I was not sure I wanted 'Help' in the footer.  In fact at course level I want no footer.  For this user, maybe this is a feature ahead of it's times.  The question remains: what is syntax (in this context) and why do I want it highlighted?

• Administrator user load chart.  smile  
    I tried to remove it but couldn't.  It looks nice.  But this (IMO) is the job for a separate plugin, not a theme.  At best display with a toggle.

Regarding your other post, about carousel slide indicators

I googled this just to check I was on the right wavelength.

Consider this:

1. The indicators are tiny and most of the time they are off the page at the bottom.  I don't want to scroll and click at random.
  2. They have no rollover to say which section you are going to.  ie there is no section to section navigation present where you know where you are going.
  3. [on hobby horse now] that is why I like something like a section menu that is there all the time,  I can choose where to go with one click.
  4. As a side comment: there is no section zero there at the top of every page.  This is usually where I put the one course forum, and until I get functionality that is better, the critical one-two lines of news for today.

I think this course format is a nice idea.  Especially when combined with resource tiles, and it has got rid of a lot of clutter such as next/previous - but at present I'm not sure I can make it work.

I should highlight again one thing that slipped through in the review in point 5.

"All theme designers: hack/steal Gareth's Image management for themes functionality.  Stop this silly business of having to upload images in some obscure way and link to them in our themes"

On the matter of plugins to themes, Gareth you this to say in 2014: "Also thought that themes should have transposable 'sub-modules' such that specific theme bound functionality can be installed in other themes just like plugins" +1  This is a good idea.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Derek,

Syntax highlighting improves the educational presentation of code and thus the overall look of any course that is about programming.

I have made a screen cast about it here: 

I'll have a look at the indicators showing the section number etc.

The administrator load chart is an experiment which came from previous conversations over back end tools for admins.  Yes it could be a block.  In its current state it was easier to add it within the theme as a starting point.  It only shows on admin screens.

The comment I made in 2014 really depends on HQ changing the whole underlying architecture in order to facilitate it.  It is a desire rather than something that can be practically implemented in a contributed theme.  Although I am making progress with child theme technology and 'tiles'.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"The comment I made in 2014 really depends on HQ changing the whole underlying architecture in order to facilitate it.  It is a desire rather than something that can be practically implemented in a contributed theme.  Although I am making progress with child theme technology and 'tiles'."

It would certainly be much better and easier to do with changes in the underlying architecture, but I've tried a 'proof of concept' with the 'plugin features' in flexibase (e.g. making awesomebar portable to other themes). It's not ideal, but it is a step better than nothing smile