Difference Between LMS and a MOOC platform

Difference Between LMS and a MOOC platform

by jyoti chauhan -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Sir/ Ma'am,

What is the actual difference between a LMS and MOOC Platform?

As previously Moodle was available as a LMS Software which was used for the creation and delivery of online courses.
Is LearnMoodle a MOOC platform? If so, it is used for same purpose - for creation and delivery of online courses, the difference is only in the number of audiences.

Similar example are also find for other LMS Softwares, Canvas - Canvas LMS (Open-Source LMS) and Canvas Network (MOOC Platform).

So what makes all the leading LMS Providers to jump into MOOC market.

(Edited by Mary Cooch  to clarify title- original submission Thursday, 17 December 2015, 10:38 AM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jyoti chauhan

Re: Difference Between LMS and a MOOC platform

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Did you read "Moodle as a MOOC platform" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=204799 ?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by jyoti chauhan -

Yes, in this article they are talking about the scalability issues. 

So if i take a Open Source LMS and host it on Cloud, The problem will be solved.

There are many LMS Providers just like Moodle are working in the same direction. Example, Canvas LMS - Open Source LMS which is being used for powering their MOOC Platform (Canvas Net). It means even for Offering MOOC we are using LMS software. So why everyone rush for the development of MOOC Platform.

What is basic difference between two softwares- MOOC Platform and LMS Software?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Both and LMS and a MOOC platform are tools for education. If you start by discussing scalability, you are missing the point.

Think instead about exactly how the roles of teacher and student are played out in your context, then you see what interactions the tools have to support.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

"So if i take a Open Source LMS and host it on Cloud, The problem will be solved."

It depends on what cloud service you buy and how much you are willing to pay for that service. The cloud is just sombody elses computer, it doesn't make performance issues just go away.

If you buy a service from a major supplier and decide to limit the resources (e.g. for financial reasons), then you may not get the performance you would like. If you don't limit the resources you might find that offering the service is expensive.

"So why everyone rush for the development of MOOC Platform."

I don't understand your question, what do you mean by MOOC platform? MOOC is really an educational concept. You can deliver through any set of software that fits your purposes.  Big venture capital funded operations have developed their own special software and I think they are going to lose large amounts of money on the operation. 

Other people have taken existing VLE software and used it for many MOOC concepts such as teaching people about Moodle etc. What do you want for your learners?

In reply to Marcus Green

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> "So if i take a Open Source LMS and host it on Cloud, The problem will be solved."

Of course, cloud is the solution.

What was the problem, BTW?
;-P