Turnitin Assignment plugin removal after migration

Turnitin Assignment plugin removal after migration

by Yvonne Hamilton -
Number of replies: 4

We have both Turnitin Assignment 2 and Turnitin Assignment plugins installed on our system. We have migrated from Turnitin to Turnitin 2 and now have no version 1 type assignments in existence. I was intending to uninstall the original V1 plugin now we have finished migrating over. Has anyone done this yet? We could leave it disabled but would rather uninstall it. My only concern is there might be some issue with it deleting shared data from Turnitin2 (we also have the plagiarism_turnitin installed and in use) if there is any such shared mod data or user account data. I know there shouldn't be but the Turnitin plugins are a little different to other Moodle plugins.

Just looking for advice. Has anyone does this yet or does the developer (John) have any knowledge about any such interconnectivity before we have a go on our test server? What happens to the Turnitin Class migration tab under Turnitin Assignment 2 if the original V1 goes?

• Turnitin assignment version (mod_turnitintool) 2015030304
  • Turnitin Assignment 2 version (mod_turnitintooltwo) 2015040110 2.6+
  • Moodle version 2.9.3+ (Build 20151113)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yvonne Hamilton

Re: Turnitin Assignment plugin removal after migration

by John McGettrick -

Hi Yvonne,

No, there is no link between mod/turnitintool (v1) and mod/turnitintooltwo (v2). You can go ahead and delete v1 if you're no longer using it.

John

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John McGettrick

by Yvonne Hamilton -

Hi,

Just thought I'd mention the results we had.

After uninstalling V1 we got errors when uploading assignments in V2 on our test server. Prior to uninstalling V1, V2 was accepting submissions without error. Files do upload but the error shows for students and also tutors uploading on behalf.

Error: Could not load preference popup_provider_mod_turnitintooltwo_submission_permitted. Make sure the component and name you supplied to message_send() are valid. | Code: 0

So, I've decided not to uninstall V1 on our live system and will just leave it disabled for now. Maybe try again next July when we complete our next round of fixes/changes.

Regards,

Yvonne

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Yvonne Hamilton

by John McGettrick -

Hi Yvonne,

We've seen this affect another couple of users recently, default settings for message providers aren't being set for some reason during upgrades. I can't replicate this but it definitely looks to be something that occurs during an upgrade.

You can fix this by going to Plugins > Message outputs > Default message outputs and ensure values are set for:

Turnitin Assignment Digital Receipt notifications
Turnitin Plagiarism Plugin Digital Receipt notifications
Turnitin Assignment Non Submitter notifications

And then click “Save changes”.

Regards

John

In reply to John McGettrick

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

We're seeing this as well:

There was a problem sending your submission to Turnitin: Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Could not load preference popup_provider_mod_turnitintooltwo_submission_permitted. Make sure the component and name you supplied to message_send() are valid.

However in our case we have the mod_turnitintooltwo module disabled as we only use the Plagiarism plugin...

We followed the instructions, but had to enable the activity module to get the settings to be listed and hence pick up a value.