PDF Book to Scorm - or maybe something different?

PDF Book to Scorm - or maybe something different?

by Andrzej N -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

We have couple of books that we would like to place on our Moodle platform for students. 

Due to the fact that these books are really rare and that we have copyrights to them, we would like to avoid allowing users to copy or download them. So PDF file is not the option.

To show our presentations (in Powerpoint) on Moodle, we use Scorm packages created with iSpring. Which works quite well.

We would like to do something similiar for our PDF books and were thinking if there is any tool that converts PDF books into Scorm package. Would you recommend something?

Or maybe there's another option to have the same effect?

I've been recommended the Slideshare, but I see the drawback, as user cannot continue the book from the moment that he finished last time - book opens on the first page again.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrzej N

Re: PDF Book to Scorm - or maybe something different?

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You may be able to make it a bit harder  but once it's online you cannot completely prevent someone getting hold of the content - even if it's screenshots

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Andrzej N -

Sure, I'm aware we will not prevent users from doing 'print screens' or even photos, but we won't to make it harder.

The question is how to do Scorm from PDF or maybe there are other tools that will work for us?

In reply to Andrzej N

by Julie Aldridge -

Hi there. We've recently put into public beta a Chrome/Firefox based web app that converts pdf documents into a html5 SCORM course package. If you'd like to try it out, it's currently available for free at http://document.scormification.ninja/. As mentioned, we're still in beta and a super large pdf might take a long time to convert (it can be quicker to convert a batch of ten or twenty page pdfs). Once the pdfs are loaded you also have the option of splitting the documents into separate screens and naming the menu items.

We're still in the process of creating tutorial videos and ironing out best principles for the design of the published courses - but if you'd like any further info, feature requests or tips please don't hesitate to contact me.

Just in case it's of interest to anyone else, the web app will also convert a Moodle book activity ims package (plus word docs, youtube, vimeo, slideshares etc) into a SCORM package super fast smile

In reply to Julie Aldridge

by Andrzej N -

Hi Julie,

Great news! Of course, I'll try it out and let you know my thoughts.