Separate tabs and filters produces wrong student in grading window

Separate tabs and filters produces wrong student in grading window

by Yvonne Hamilton -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I know this relates to browser tabs not refreshing but it is a serious issue around grading the wrong students work via the Moodle assignment module.

What happens is if you have two tabs open in the browser and have the same or even a different assignment grading page open in each tab and then you also use the filtering in each tab (filter First Name) a problem can arise.

In each tab filter the first name to a different letter (filter First Name to R in first tab and filter First Name to S in the second tab). 

filter

Then in  browser tab 2 choose the first student in the list of students with first name starting with S. In mine its a student called Stephen. When I click on the grade pencil next to Stephen then Stephens grading page comes up which is all good. 

But if I then click on the first browser tab I see my list of students filtered to show only the students with First name starting with R. On this tab if I click on the Grade pencil next to my student called Robert I get Stephens grading page coming up. As an admin I understand why this happens but standard teachers don't understand that when they flick between tabs the page needs to be refreshed to display the correct information (filter changed from R to S between tabs). It is a serious issue if you are grading many students and you navigate to another tab without refreshing the page.

Is it something Moodle should look at? If the URL is something like this ....server/mod/assign/view.php?action=grading&id=239&tifirst=R so what is showing is students with first name starting with R. And then you click on the grade pencil next to 'Robert' for example on this page it shouldn't then produce a page for a student with the first name starting with S without a warning of some kind? I think its an issue but has this been discussed before and dismissed?

We are using Moodle 2.7.7 and Moodle 2.9.3+ and get the same results in both versions and same results in latest Chrome and IE11 browsers.

Thoughts?

Regards,

Yvonne

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yvonne Hamilton

Re: Separate tabs and filters produces wrong student in grading window

by Yvonne Hamilton -
Anyone get the same results and what do people think? Some feedback on this would be good.

Regards,

Yvonne

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
1. Grade book opened
2. open tab - First Name :L
3. open tab - First Name :J
4. return to first tab (L)
5. check links from first listed student

On mine this shows the expected student on each of the tabs (Lena on the L tab and Jayden on the J tab)

Please can you add step by step instructions to replicate the issue you have described as it doesn't seem to happen for me, but I may be doing something slightly different?

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Yvonne Hamilton -

Thanks for replying

• Go into an assignment
  • Click on View grade all assignments
  • Open same page in a new tab
  • On first tab filter First Name = S
  • On second tab filter First Name = R (or different letter from first)
  • Note that the second tab was the last page to load……URL is  server/mod/assign/view.php?action=grading&id=2566&tifirst=R
  • Click on Grade pencil next to first student in the list on second tab (mine is Rory). My URL is server/mod/assign/view.php?id=2566&rownum=0&action=grade and Rory’s grading page comes up. All Good! Leave this page as it is and…
  • Click on first tab (notice this tab/page doesn’t refresh or reload. The filter still shows first name = S and the URL is server/mod/assign/view.php?action=grading&id=2566&tifirst=S
  • Click on Grade pencil next to first student in the list on first tab (mine is Simone). Rory’s grading page comes up

If I refresh this tab/page (first tab) before clicking on the Grade pencil then the correct students grading page comes up but if you switch between tabs and don’t manually refresh each tab the problem occurs as Moodle selects the first student rownum=0 from whatever tab was last loaded not the tab I am necessarily on.

Although it’s a browser problem shouldn’t Moodle have some check as it is to do with grading and when grading 100 students a teacher will quickly scroll down to add feedback files and not double check the name is the same name as the one they selected next to the Grade pencil.

Regards,

Yvonne

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes I can confirm the same issue with Moodle 3

Please can you report this in the tracker.

I'm not sure that what you describe is a good workflow - having the same page open with different filters having been used and not refreshing is almost bound to cause problems. But they are problems the code can probably work around by searching for the userid rather than the rownumber by which they are displayed (but I haven't looked at the code, so not entirely sure how it is working!)

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Yvonne Hamilton -

Thanks Richard for your suggestions.

I've added to the Tracker as an improvement. https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-52422 

Regards,

Yvonne

by Damyon Wiese -
Note that this was fixed recently in MDL-44330.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Unfortunately the grade book does still use rows to identify which student is being graded.  This is somewhat of a unique scenario but would be good to add to the tracker as there have been a lot of requests to change that behavior.