Hot Potatoes

Hot Potatoes

by John Taylor Johnston -
Number of replies: 5
Any word on whether we will be able to upload Hot Potatoes exercises and have them record results, as if they were installed at www.hotpotatoes.net smile ?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Taylor Johnston

Re: Hot Potatoes

by Thomas Robb -
I, for one, had been intending to work on integrating Hot Potatoes into Moodle, but haven't had much success yet. I found for example, that for the "jbc" module which is simple "multiple choice" that it made more sense to export the questions from Hot Pot and import them into Moodle's own Multiple Choice quiz type. This allowed all of the additional functionality of Moodle to operate, such as being able to set the access time, allowing only either a single or multiple attempts, etc.

Some of the other Hot Pot types have similar Moodle quiz types, as well. For types that have no equivalent, perhaps there would be no choice but to import.

There is also a legal consideration here. Probably the vast majority of those using it are taking advantage of the "freeware" aspect of it -- you can use it for free in educational environments if you make the activities that you produce publicly accessible. With Moodle, since access is password protected and the contents are not visible to search engines, etc., one would really have to have purchased a copy in order to legally use it, I believe.

I suppose this isn't an issue we need to deal with here since users can, even without Moodle, easily circumvent the license clause by placing their Hot Pot quizzes on servers that aren't linked to the I-net. This is an ethical issue for the user, not for people attempting to add Hot Pot functionality to Moodle, right?
In reply to Thomas Robb

The licencing issues are valid. Putting that aside, what I'm wondering is how can we hack into any version 6 exercise? Let me pseudo code it.

Create an import module that would read into memory a verison 6 exercise:

1) add <form name=moodledHP><input type=hidden name=finalscore></form>
2) assign HP score value to name=finalscore using resident javascript
3) add a submit button, or recode the resident JS code to submit this form as soon as the final score has been calculated.

I don't think it needs to be any more complicated.
? :) John
In reply to Thomas Robb

by Ger Tielemans -

If you create a website with all the resources available, you are legal even when you use it parallel in an closed setting - i think.

(Nice this new editor®©

In reply to John Taylor Johnston

by Ger Tielemans -

Not possible:

• it will be a blackbox visitor, even moodle does not know waht it does
  • you have to cut/change "somewhere in the code, by hand" out the buttons that bring you to the next page 
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Ger: Re: Hot Potatoes

That really is too bad. Any file I upload becomes a blackbox visitor.
I feel as long as such a thing checks to make sure I'm not uploading PHP or ASP code or whatever, it should be ok.