Need Help with some Development Questions and Evaluation

Need Help with some Development Questions and Evaluation

by Casey Tyler -
Number of replies: 9

I have been using Moodle for a while now but it is lacking in some areas that I needed and I wanted to touch base with some developers. I am wondering if it would be worth time and effort to modify it for my purposes.  I work for a company that supplies training for our providers. The providers are requesting some access that I think maybe problematic with Moodle. The provider’s higher employees and we provide the training for them.

1)      We need to use Moodle as a standalone solution. This means it will need to provide transcripts that must include courses that employees/students have taken with us and some courses that maybe transferred from other learning facilities.

2)      Would like to set up providers so they can register their employees and schedule them for class.  They would also like to log in and view their employee’s transcripts. I can do this to some degree with the Mentees block.  However, there is a privacy issue so I would like the student to select the provider when signing up and that would allow the provider to have access to a student’s grade/transcript

3)       I would like to do this without giving the providers access to everyone in the system like an admin account.

4)      When registering the activation email goes to the provider (Student would have selected a provider during registration) and the employee/student.

5)      The courses that we offer are at physical locations and happen on specific days with multiple classes. For instance we have a CPR and First aid class that occurs every week.  Currently I have this set up as a CPR and First Aid as a category and each occurrence set up as an individual class. This is because each class needs attendance, enrollment, and tests recorded. So under that category would be CPR and First Aid: 10-30-15 as an individual class then CPR and First Aid: 11-6-15 as an individual class.

6)      I would like to be able to send reminder emails at different intervals to remind employee/students of upcoming classes

7)      Send certificates to email addresses automatically when graded.

That is only some of the changes I am looking for. To me, it seems like a lot. Do you think I would be better off designing something from the ground up?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Casey Tyler

Re: Need Help with some Development Questions and Evaluation

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Most of these things can be don on top of Moodle, just my writing add-ons of different types.

You have a lot of requirements, so I may miss some, but here are some typical examples:

"I would like the student to select the provider when signing up" Look at custom user profile fields https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/User_profile_fields

"at physical locations and happen on specific days" Have a look at the Scheduler or Face-to-face plugins.

"transcripts that must include courses that employees/students have taken" - to get exactly what you want, you probably need to make a custom gradebook report plugin. However, the standard Overview report sort-of does this, and might give you some clues how to start your own report. (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Grades#Report_plugins). Alternatively, look at the Course completion system. I can't remember if that gives any reports as standard. (https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Course_completion). https://docs.moodle.org/30/en/Badges May also be worth a look.

"send reminder emails at different intervals to remind employee/students of upcoming classes" The basic idea would be any sort of plugin (local?) with a Scheduled task (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Task_API) that runs once per day. It should do a database query to find all the courses that start in X days time, then use the Message system (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Message_API) to send all the users in those courses a message.

"When registering the activation email goes to the provider" sort-of similar, only use the Event system (https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Events_API) to find when a user has registered, in order to send the message.

I am going to stop there. The point is almost everything you want can be done as a fairly simple add-on. You can develop them one at a time (so you can start with the ones that give the biggest benefit for effort trade-off). Meanwhile, you still get all the features of Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Umer Farid -
Hi, i want to install moodle for my one academy. I want to know that is it possible that can i use one moodle setup for my 5 more academies. and i want that all six academies can communicate with one another using only one moodle setup.
In reply to Umer Farid

by Darko Miletić -

What you want is multitenancy. Standard Moodle does not support that. There are Moodle based products that do - like IOMAD.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Umer Farid

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

It depends exactly what features you want

Your users from separate academies could simply be enrolled as separate cohorts on a single moodle and then enrolled into courses in a category per academy (much like different faculties in a university will use the same Moodle site).

MultiTenancy would take that to the full extent, so that each academy would see 'their' moodle as if it were a separate one, but all actually sitting on the same install - but if you only need to ensure all the users can access the site but have separation of enrolments on different courses, then yes it can be done fairly easily.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Umer Farid

by Umer Farid -

Thanks for your information. Now i want to know that is there any forum facility for users in IOMAD like it is in vbulletin.? So, users can make their own thread if they have any question to ask. If there is no forum facility, is there any way to integrate discussion forum facility in IOMAD?

In reply to Umer Farid

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Well, given that IOMAD is built on Moodle, I would assume it has Moodle's forum features

In reply to Umer Farid

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What forum style features did you find when you installed IOMAD?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Casey Tyler -

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info.

The provider would need to be more than a drop down list. It would need to be populated from a table. The provider would need to be connected to a user. Once a student selects the provider the user that is connected to that provider should be able to view transcripts and register student for classes, etc. To me, this seem like a lot of additional work but maybe I am wrong. What are your thoughts on that. 

In reply to Casey Tyler

by Just H -

Some great insights from Tim there. For more of an out-of-the-box solution could be worth having a look into ELIS (Remote Learners suite of plugins). Bit of a learning curve and given recent changes with other distributions, caveat emptor as it where.