Assignment with +1 extra credit

Assignment with +1 extra credit

by Jason Touw -
Number of replies: 1

There is probably a setting for this and I am just not seeing it.  I am using the Natural aggregation in the gradebook.  I have an Assignment worth 20 points.  The minimum is set to zero, and the maximum is set to 20.  I have a few students that went above and beyond, and so I want to award them 21/20.  However, the maximum grade that will save is 20.  I do not want to make the entire assignment extra credit, I just want to award them a little bonus point.  Moodle will not save any grades over 20.  How should I accomplish this?  Thanks for the feedback!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Touw

Re: Assignment with +1 extra credit

by Russell Waldron -
Jason, my workaround has been to create another assignment or column in the Gradebook (perhaps called Extra credit) in which to store the over-the-top mark. In the Gradebook, make that assignment extra credit.

We could argue that this structure is better because it is more "transparent" for students, and fairer to low performers.

• You can give an Extra credit point for especially commendable work, or non-compulsory service, even if the student did not satisfy 100% of the set task.
  • You can explain the extra credit in a comment specifically for extra credit.

You might want to use the same Extra credit assignment for multiple tasks in the course. To do this, choose the Advanced Grading Method, and make a Marking Guide, creating one Criteria corresponding to each assignment in the course.