Moodle Hardware for 10,000 users and 300 users concurrent(at the same time)

Moodle Hardware for 10,000 users and 300 users concurrent(at the same time)

craig dsouza - દ્વારા
Number of replies: 11

Dear All,

I have installed moodle for my team and we plan to launch it for our whole company

The total number of users will be 10,000 to 15,000 and will have 300 to 500(max) users giving a test at a single moment.

What would my hardware specification be to match my requirement?

Could you guys help me out?

Thanks and Regards for you're answers

In reply to craig dsouza

Re: Moodle Hardware for 10,000 users and 300 users concurrent(at the same time)

Visvanath Ratnaweera - દ્વારા
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to craig dsouza

Usman Asar - દ્વારા
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Craig,

Besides what Visvanath recommended, you may as well want to read through a recent questions asked minus the Windows part

here

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=322295#p1293679

In reply to Usman Asar

Usman

The point is, if the OP had looked at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/post.php?forum=94, he would have read: "Many of the questions have already been answered. Please make use of the Advanced forum search and the Google custom search to find them"!

About https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=322295: Informative thread. But why is it in General help forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=50 ?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

craig dsouza - દ્વારા

Thanks For all the replies

I did go through all the before forum before but wanted answers first hand since this is my first project for my company.

The reason i asked for specs is because i will have as in the OP 300 users at the same time doing the course quiz.

and also the user location will be based all across the country 

I live in India and the users are separated from my HO; where the server will be located by more then 1000kms.

My assumption for 5000 to 10000 users is 8 core (3.2 GHZ) with GB ram considering 100+ users concurrent.

Am i wrong for this assumption?

Hence i need some expertise here ?

In reply to craig dsouza

Usman Asar - દ્વારા

Its not registered users that is dependent upon the performance, but users online and interacting with Moodle.

You can have a million users registered on a moodle running on a Intel Atom based CPU with 1GB RAM, so you dont have to mention the total number of users, but concurrent is the figure that you have to keep in mind which you said 300 and taking quizzes, where quizzes being 2nd most power hungry task in moodle (chat being first), ideally you have to have database on a separate drive and on SSD (if you can't afford to get a separate database server) as throughput is tremendous during Quiz sessions, 1000's of Read/ Write operations per second so you can imagine the load.

Where you mentioned 8 core, in what specs? as a 4-core Hyper Threaded CPU will show 8 cores as well, but 4 are physical and 4 are virtual making it total of 8 logical cores.

Though you haven't mentioned RAM, but as per Moodle recommendation and you must have read it already, its 10-20 users per GB, now the upper figure of 20 for those who are online and not interacting hard with LMS and lower figure of 10 for those who are taking quizzes, so if your all 300 users will be taking quizzes at the same time, then consider 10 users per GB as same limit, else you can go with a median of 15 per GB, even at 10 making it 32GB of memory which wont be breaking your bank. Let us know what type of CPU's you came up with, and i'll see what to consider better as not every 8-core CPU is same (different cache's, different QPI & lithography etc), and its not just the RAM and CPU that will determine the performance of your server, you have to find a sweet spot of performance to get the best out of your hardware, and that includes combination of drives, selection and tuning of software etc.

Like for example, you get a server with 8-core and 32GB RAM running on a single magnetic drive of 7200RPM, that wont take you anywhere near to support more than 30 concurrent.

In reply to Usman Asar

craig dsouza - દ્વારા

Thank's for you're reply it really means a lot.

As per specs I don't know. Could you guys suggest the servers you would use in this situation?

In reply to craig dsouza

In reply to craig dsouza

Usman Asar - દ્વારા

Are you going to get a server yourself or getting it from a hosting provider?

I would have preferred going for either dual socket quad, else E5 class Xeon 6-core Hyper Threaded, for that matter Intel XEON® E5-2620v2 are pretty well priced CPU's being Server class.

Start with 24GB RAM, and keep database on independent drive, if data is critical, then get 3 RAID-1 configured drives, One for O/S, SWAP and Web Server (on SSD), one for moodle and moodledata files and one for database alone (has to be on SSD).

In reply to Usman Asar

craig dsouza - દ્વારા
In reply to craig dsouza

Usman Asar - દ્વારા

Then either get an HP Proliant like Visvanath mentioned, or Dell Optiplex will do as well, or best off built one yourself, get a Super Micro Motherboard for AMD Opetron 6272, its 16-core CPU will cost you as same as buying a XEON with 6 core, cheap and simple.

in either case, dont get a rack unit design, they are noisy and more expensive, just get a tower chassis.

and last and not least, though I had mentioned that before too, and Howard just mentioned that am I am tripling on that, a separate system is a separate system, where  Database gets most punished, so putting it on independent machine would make a difference.

Just to let you know, rather getting a 8-core and 16GB Ram server, (or) alternatively getting 2 servers with 4 core and 8GB RAM each (though price will be higher too) but you'll get nearly twice the power of what you can get from a single box.