moving host, what to consider?

moving host, what to consider?

per Erik Ringmar -
Nombre de respostes: 12
Dear all,

I'm moving web host in a few days.  What do I need to consider?  I would hate it if the Moodle pages went down never to come back up, or if I needed to recreate them all.  I have obviously made backups, and will upload them to the new site, but will this automatically recreate the Moodle site?

greetings from London,

Erik
Mitjana de qualificacions: -
En resposta a Erik Ringmar

Re: moving host, what to consider?

per James Phillips -
Make sure you back-up your MYSQL database correctly. All kinds of things can go wrong moving host but if you have the database there will usually be some way to get back to where you were. You will need to give a lot more information to receive more detailed help though, such as the version of moodle you are using (hold your mouse over the "moodle" logo on the front page of your site to see this), and how it is being hosted/moved. 
En resposta a James Phillips

per Erik Ringmar -
Hi James,

Thanks for a very speedy reply.  I seem to be using 1.5.2 + (2005060223).  I'm moving from one Unix server to another.  They two seeem very similar in the kinds of services they offer (but not in price and web space, hence the move).  I've just ftp:ed the whole site down to my PC's hard disk, I thought that would be sufficient.  Is there anything else I need to do to back up the MYSQL database?

Thanks for taking your time with this.  I would hate to see something go wrong.

greetings from London,

Erik

per Bhupinder Singh -

Hi,

Can you advise who the new provider is. And what are thew parameters you considered to change.

I am looking for a change too. Any help will be nice.

Garry

per N Hansen -
Are you using a host and moving to a host that uses CPanel? I believe you can back up your entire hosting account (not just your site) using CPanel, and then have your new host reconstruct it exactly as is using the backup. I don't know how it works though exactly.
En resposta a N Hansen

per Erik Ringmar -
And then you just upload it and it works?  Is life that simple?  Thanks.  Let's hope that works.

Erik

per Just H -
Depending on who our new host is, they might actually be able to do it for you, worth asking (my host offers that service, not sure if it's a standard sort of service as I'm new to this external hosting thing).

Regards
H
En resposta a Just H

per koen roggemans -
Imatge Core developers Imatge Documentation writers Imatge Moodle HQ Imatge Particularly helpful Moodlers Imatge Plugin developers Imatge Translators
Anyway, you should probably edit your config.php or otherwise rename it, so it can be recreated on first admin visit. I can't imagine even the physical paths are the same on both hosts...
En resposta a koen roggemans

per Erik Ringmar -
thanks!  I've moved to the new host and I've uploaded all my Moodle stuff.  But I have to put in an order for a MYSQL database!  When I get it, what is the first thing I need to do?  Will editng the config.php file do it?  (You're right of course, the paths are indeed different ... sigh ...)

greetings from London,

Erik

per James Phillips -
Erik,

Will you be able to access phpmyadmin? If they create the database for you, you need to know the username and password associated with the database. You then need to go to phpmyadmin and put the information from your old database in. To do this you go to the SQL tab in phpmyadmin, locate your mysql back-up file with the "browse" button, then simply press "go". This should put all your information back in. Then you have to make sure that the information for your new database and the information in config.php correlate. The easiest way to do this is to edit the database information (username, password, path etc.) in the config.php file (that is assuming the database has not been created using the same username/password as for the old database. If this is the case, I think you will only have to change the path).

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jamie
En resposta a James Phillips

per Erik Ringmar -
Hi Jamie,

That's great!  I'm almost there.  I do indeed have a Phpmyadmin and I did find the browser tab.  I could not however locate the mysql backup.  I have an SQL file which I dowloaded with a Moodle_dumper (as describe elsewhere in these forums), but I get a 'no SQL query' message.  What to do?  I have been backing up my Moodle both from within the program and by downloading my entire site, but perhaps I'm not looking at the right place.

It would be great if you could help out ... sigh (again) ...

greetings,

Erik

per James Phillips -
Hi Erik,

It should just be a case of pressing the SQL tab when you are in phpmyadmin, selecting your SQL file using the "browse" button, and then pressing "go". If this is giving you a "no SQL query message", try making a copy of the SQL file then open up the copy in a text editor and make sure that is is all there. If you e-mail it to me at the address in my profile I can take a quick look at it for you. I am by no means an expert but I might be able to see what is going wrong.

Cheers,

Jamie