problem with sessions? Cannot login

problem with sessions? Cannot login

by George Harrison -
Number of replies: 2
I've just got my site up at a new server (site5.com) and everything seemed to be working smoothly for a day (everything was up) until I tried to login this morning and could not. At the top of my browser, there is a notice and a warning (I've attached the message). I cannot login and it just feels like a sessions issue, but I don't know.

I tried a moodle reinstall, but that produced the same results.

Does anyone know what this means and what I should do?
Attachment variableref.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to George Harrison

Re: problem with sessions? Cannot login

by George Harrison -
Okay. I'm embarrassed not to have found this topic in forum searches until now. I guess the problem is the most recent php version (mine is php 4.4.0) conflicted with the adob.inc.php file. I found the file I needed at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=30527#142805

The really strange thing was, the file did nothing to fix the problem. So I created a new database and a new instance of moodle, put that file in adob directory, and installed it again only to find a terrific loop of failures after the php config finished. so, I put the old adob.inc.php file back in, got through the initial settings, and then had the same old problem I had at the very beginning, but THEN put in the new file and NOW it works. Dizzying. I wonder if it'll keep working now. Since it hasn't been added to the moodle download files themselves, there must still be something not right going on. I just wonder if I could have some way avoided creating a new database, avoiding losing the classes I had built.
In reply to George Harrison

Re: problem with sessions? Cannot login

by Just H -
Hi George

The file you picked up in the other post worked for me on Site5 at the time. I'm guessing things may have changed in Moodle since then as the file didn't seem to work for the person in the other post either.

Have you deleted the old database? If not, I think you can make a backup and then upload it to your new database (sorry, can't be specific as I am ne to this and wouldn't have a clue how to - trial and error with me at the moment!)

Regards
H