PoodLL audio recording cuts off early

PoodLL audio recording cuts off early

by Stephen Leonard -
Number of replies: 6

I've been using the PoodLL mp3 audio recorder in the Atto text editor on my Moodle 2.9 system and the recording seems to go fine. I save it and whenever I go to play it back, I usually only get an audio clip of 4 to 12 seconds long, even if the recording was a minute or two. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Leonard

Re: PoodLL audio recording cuts off early

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I have seen this before, and I am trying to recall what caused it. It may be a PHP thing called Suhosin interfering with your uploaded audio data. 

Go to site admin -> server ->php info. Do a search (ctrl + f) for 'suhosin' and also look at 'post_max_size' and 'upload_max_filesize.'

If suhosin is there, it is the most likely culprit. And you will need to configure it to accept larger upload sizes. If its not there, then its nor the problem. If either of the other 2 values are really small, ie less than 2M, then that might be the problem. But thats unlikely. 

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Stephen Leonard -

I checked to see if suhosin was there but it's not. The post_max_size and upload_max_filesize are both 1024M. It's strange because the video recorder for example works perfectly. I've recorded up too 3 minutes of video and it all comes up when it's saved.

by Justin Hunt -
The Video and Red5 audio recorders work very differently to the MP3 recorder. So its not so surprising the behaviour is different. The MP3 recorder posts the data to the server, which the other recorders don't do. 

Something is truncating the uploaded data. I am not sure what is doing it, but anything that limits the upload file size would be something to look at. If it works for you, you might try using the Red5 audio recorder as a workaround  

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Stephen Leonard -

I'll give the Red5 recorder a try but I seem to remember a similar problem with it. When you say server, do you mean the tokyo.poodll.com server? Do you think installing FFMPEG might help with this issue?

by Justin Hunt -

Installing FFMPEG , and configuring PoodLL to use it, is a good thing to do. But that is really about file conversion. And I don't think that is a solution to this problem.

Something is limiting the file upload size on your Moodle server. There is no "upload" from browser to Moodle server when using tokyo.poodll.com. The browser uploads to tokyo.poodll.com. And then your Moodle server downloads it from there. That is why it is unaffected.

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Stephen Leonard -

Ok, that makes sense. I'll talk to our Moodle host and ask them to investigate if there's something limiting the upload size. Thanks for your help Justin, it really is a great plugin.