Does duplicating a quiz duplicate the questions?

Re: Does duplicating a quiz duplicate the questions?

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Tim, I learn something every day.  Thanks.

I didn't realize that if questions are created within a Quiz, like Q1, that a category is created in the question bank.  This category appears to become "private" to only this quiz.  If I am at the course level and go to the question bank, I won't see the Q1 category.

I am going to have to think about this for awhile and figure out when this would be to my advantage.  This seems to be a subtle feature of Moodle that could be powerful in the right situations.  Interesting!

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is indeed a subtle feature.

This aspect of the question bank was originally created by Jamie Pratt, in order that he could build the Question creation activity, so that is one use. Stopping questions created by students getting mixed up with the teacher's questions. (Although, it teacher wants to steal reuse the Students' questions, they can move them to a different area of the question bank.)

We also use this facility at the OU. For formally assessed quizzes, we control their creation and administration using our Workflow block. As part of that, we put all the questions in the quiz area, and then we use Permission overrides, so that after the questions have been approved by a reviewer, they cannot be edited any more. This also reduced the chance that summative questions are accidentally included in a practice quiz.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have used the Question Creation activity for a single lesson exercise. The students created a bunch of questions with Qcreate and while they did it I monitored what they had created. Just towards the end of this part of the session I would export the questions, import them to another course and then create a quiz with what I thought was the best of them which they would then take. A very enjoyable use of the technology.