Is it possible to give feedback only via a rubric assignment?

Is it possible to give feedback only via a rubric assignment?

by Paul Tosney -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

is it possible to set up a rubric so that a teacher can just give feedback and not be forced to give a grade via the rubric?

Then when the student resubmits - use the rubric to give a grade.

The teachers I work with say giving a 0 or 1 is not ideal.

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Tosney

Re: Is it possible to give feedback only via a rubric assignment?

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Three thoughts initially come to mind:

1- communicate about the assignment through the "Submission Comments" instead of the 'Feedback Comments'. This can be found on the quick grading page if turned on in the assignment's settings. You'll have to click 'save comment' beneath the text you enter since rubrics don't have a 'save all quickgrading changes' option.

2- If all your students will be submitting around the same time, then turn the rubric off for your assignment for the first phase, and just leave feedback without a grade. Then when everyone is ready to submit the final version, turn the rubric back on and go in and grade using the rubric.

3- use 2 separate assignments (the first upload uses simple direct grading where you can leave feedback and no grade, then the second upload uses the rubric)

Also, I've never used the Workshop Module, but maybe that is what this module is intended for.

In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Is it possible to give feedback only via a rubric assignment?

by Mira Vogel -

I'm in 3.1 where it seems to be possible through the following combination of settings:

• Set the rubric not to display points to the assessor or the students.
  • In Gradebook > View, for that particular assignment you Override all grades (I used zero) and also Exclude the grades from any final calculations.
Then what students see is the rubric and the overridden grade e.g. 0.00 / 100 (along with any other Feedback Comments).

All that remains is to communicate to the students to expect feedback and a zero grade.

That seems to work.