Course Format Impact on Performance

Course Format Impact on Performance

by Paul Lindgreen -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Currently we use the course format Topics, 'show all sections'.

This link suggests 'show one section' will have a significant positive impact on page load times. in addition this page suggests keeping Blocks to an absolute minimum will also have a significant positive impact.

Can other Moodlers confirm this? It makes sense to me that showing less content will load faster but I was wondering if anyone else tried measuring the impact?

I'm trying to make a case for the 'show one section' setting, performance will be my main argument. Can other course designers chime in, is this course layout considered better design as well? With very long pages with lots of Topics and activities/resources it would be easier to scan the page (less clutter), how about shorter pages, with say 10 Topics and 3-4 activities/resources per topic, do designers still recommend it under those circumstances?

=====

Moodle 2.7.8 environment, theme essential, windows server

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Lindgreen

Re: Course Format Impact on Performance

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Is this some kind of a technocracy? I guess, you've put up a Moodle site for teachers to teach. These course formats are in Moodle core because they are useful. Banishing them is the wrong approach. If you have a performance issue the initial pointers are in the header to this forum. (Once you start a new discussion more instructions appear and then disappear).