Calculated Simple question type variables reset

Calculated Simple question type variables reset

by Brian Huntley -
Number of replies: 0

Hello all - 

I have a faculty member who is having troubles editing Calculated Simple question types.  He indicates that when trying to edit any aspect of existing question, the variable limits are reset to 1 and 10, rendering the calculated answers incorrect because they don't match the originals.  This feels like a bug to me, but perhaps there's some aspect of the question type design that makes it a necessity?  I thought before filing a bug report I'd see if anyone here had seen similar behavior.

To ensure I haven't misconstrued something, here's his original report to me:

The bug present in this version of moodle is easily reproducible. It appears to be an error specific to the Calculated Simple type under the “Create a new question…” option in the Question Bank section of a course. When any question of this type is made you must set limits for the variables the question will use. The default setting for these variables is 1 to 10. If you modify these variables to fit your question and save, the question appears to work just fine with the variables you have set; however, if you go back and try to modify ANY characteristic of a question of this type ( name of question, a typo in the question text, the tolerance of answer that it is willing to accept, etc.), these variables revert back to the defaults of 1 to 10. This then renders the calculated answers incorrect, as they do not match the set put forward by the original calculations. I assume this is an error in either how the variables are stored, or how they are indexed to the particular question. 

Thanks much for any guidance you may have!  We're running Moodle 2.8.7+

Brian

Average of ratings: -