Add one random from each subcategory

Add one random from each subcategory

by Julia Golutvina -
Number of replies: 6

Hello! I need your help! I'm trying to solve this problem, and i made two kind of interfaces of the window "Add a random question to page"

In "ui direction 1" I added a single button "Add one random question from each subcategory", which should be added one random question from each subcategory.

In "ui direction 2" I have added a whole section dedicated to adding one random question from each category.

I would like to now your opinion aboat this decision. Which direction is bуtter?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Julia Golutvina

Re: Add one random from each subcategory

by Julia Golutvina -

I'm trying to solve a typical problem when you create tests in which each question is - random, have a lot of clicking and it takes a lot of time. It is much more convenient to create a single section or button to fill randomly test questions from all categories (as presented above in the picture). I'm interested in what variant you like and if you do not like any a variant, i would like to know why?

by Oleg Sychev -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

First of all, my +1 to do the change. Summative quizzes are often done as several "one random from category" questions, and manually clicking on 10-20 categories to create a random question from each is a boring task.

On the interface: I prefer first screen since it is smaller, but titles of the buttons should be clearer like "Add random question(s) from this category" and "Add random question(s) from each subcategory of this category". Note "(s)" before question since "one" is not correct - it can be overrided by "Number of random questions" settings above. Placing a help icon near buttons (especially new one) is also recommended.

In reply to Oleg Sychev

by Julia Golutvina -

Thank you for your opinion! I agree with you that  "Add random question(s) from this category" is clearer titles, but what aboat second I thinking that this button sould make a quiz adding just ONE random question from each sub category. You think that this option will be more useful if we can add several quastion from each and this amount wiil taken from spin "Number of random question(s)"?

by Andy Chaplin -

Really neat idea.

I like the first option as it seems to me to be a bit cleaner.

One point (just for clarification)...  I take it that the "One from each sub category" is linked to the number of questions drop down - so that you can automatically add 2, 3, 4 and so on from each sub category?

In reply to Andy Chaplin

by Julia Golutvina -

Thank you for your opinion! I agree with you the first option will be cleaner and simpler then second.
What about your question...this button should add just ONE question from each subcategory, but generally of course we can add 2, 3 ... but not using this button (not automaticaly).

by Duke Okoroji -

Hello, I will like to hear your opinon. i was thinking to add a new button which will add one random  question to each subcatergory but i want to seek advice on a name for the button which will enable the user to have better understaning of the use of this button.
Below is a screen grab of what i was thinking. And also i noticed from a test which where after adding a random question from each subcategory to a particular category, the new button which we are trying to implement for adding one random  question to each subcatergory will not be in use. Any advices on how best to go about this so the button will not be idle as i think it a very disturbing feature for a button to be idle. In  my screen grab below i added a checkbox"Add random in subcategory"  which will enable will set button "Add one random question from each subcategory" and make the button "Add Random question" invisible.
Thanks in advance for your replysmile

Attachment Task.PNG