Course welcome message - modify the sender

Course welcome message - modify the sender

by Jean-Luc Delghust -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

We're running Moodle 2.9.1+. I'm trying to figure out how to specify the sender of the course welcome message (from the Self-enrolment plugin)
According to the Enrolment FAQ for 2.9, he sender should be the site admin.
In our case, the message is sent by one of the teachers of the course, while I don't remember changing anything about that in the config. Our problem is that, when a course has multiple teachers, the system seems to choose one of the teachers at random (or maybe the first in alphabetical order). In the teacher teams, there's always one coordinator, who should be the one the welcome message is sent from.
Is there a way to define which user the welcome message is sent from? Or to create a special "role" to add to a user within a course to make sure ths person is the one the message is sent from?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched the forums, and the latest discussion I could find seemed to relate to Moodle 1.9, so it's probably outdated. 

Thanks in advance for any hint for a solution!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

Re: Course welcome message - modify the sender

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't think that FAQ is correct actually - as you have found, the course welcome message comes from the course teacher, not the site admin. I think perhaps that FAQ is referring to a new account. (I'll change it)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

Thought so smile

Thanks, still looking for a way to select the teacher who sends the message, but maybe it'll have to become a feature request?

In reply to Jean-Luc Delghust

by Kathryn Davis -

This is a possible solution. If using Self Enrolment as an enrolment method you can set up a Self Enrolment instance for each group and customize a welcome message for each within the enrolment method settings. The welcome message email will come from the admin but your message can include instructor name and contact info.

In reply to Kathryn Davis

by Jean-Luc Delghust -

Thanks for the suggestion, but actually it's not the admin that sends a message, but one random teacher in the course (while we have a coordinator). We tried something similar, and students still just hit the "reply" button, flooding the non-coordinating teacher who then had to forward all the messages.

It's probably a case where we need to educate our students more into reading the instructions rather than finding a technical solution ^^