Submtting multipe assignments into the same Assignment module over time (2.8)

Submtting multipe assignments into the same Assignment module over time (2.8)

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I have a teacher who wants to have students submit new extra credit assignments each week to the same Extra Credit Assignment module without the students needing to delete the previous submission.

The alternative is for the teacher to create one assignment module per week and have them appear and hide each week, but then the user report  would then have all of those assignment modules appear in it. This teacher is looking to have it only appear 1 time, but have a history of all the submissions so students don't need to delete their previous week's submission.

Is something like this possible? Thanks,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Submtting multipe assignments into the same Assignment module over time (2.8)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Look at the Journal plugin.

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Submtting multipe assignments into the same Assignment module over time (2.8)

by John Provasnik -

Does Jornal still have that bug where once a teacher grades it, they cannot see student updates to the Journal? That was a big we experienced back in 2.6 (I'm on 2.8.7 now)

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Standard Database activity.

In reply to William Lu

by John Provasnik -

To be honest, the Database and Dataform modules are the 2 Moodle activities that still intimidate me! But Access was the one Microsoft product I never learned so maybe I'm just nervous around the word "data." I haven't read the docs to learn more about it yet, but I plan to soon.

by William Lu -

How about start from here: https://moodle.net/mod/data/view.php?d=1&rid=93

I am sure you can find one of the presets to suit the "Submitting multiple assignments" easily.

You are welcome to post any question to Database forum.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This should be available as standard in Moodle assignments. In the settings enable the 'attempts reopened' feature and set it to 'manually'.

When grading each submission, just select 'yes' for reopen assignment, then the student will be able to start a new submission (optionally based on their  previous submission).

In reply to Davo Smith

by William Lu -

Wow, this is really good feature I never use before. Thanks to Davo for pointing it out. 

In reply to Davo Smith

by John Provasnik -

Yes, that is true - then the student does not need to delete the old assignment, it gives them a fresh upload box. This is very nice.

The downside is that the assignment module does not retain the previous upload. So either way, there is only the latest upload displayed on the teacher's end. So I will play around with the other suggestions and see what fits our need here.

Thanks!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Why can the teacher just not allow multiple file uploads? The maximum is 20 (although you can increase that)

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you looked down at the bottom of the page?

The history of all submissions + feedback is displayed there on the 'grading' page, in an expandable list (it is also on the assignment starting page for the student).

In reply to Davo Smith

[Solved] Re: Submtting multipe assignments into the same Assignment module over time (2.8)

by John Provasnik -

Davo -- Thank you!

No, I didn't notice the Previous Attempts summary on the student grading page. I kept looking on the Quick Grade page for this. So yes, Moodle does retain a history of each attempt and a record of each submitted file as well. I didn't notice I had to expand the previous attempts to see the details of each previous submission.

So the submission setting I needed so students can add a new extra credit assignment each week was to have Attempts reopened Automatically and then tell the teachers to expand the "previous attempts" so they can see all previously submitted files.

Thanks!