MM2.1 - "Error reading chapter of book" locks app

MM2.1 - "Error reading chapter of book" locks app

by Tim Edsell -
Number of replies: 11

Attempting to view all the chapters (in a book with 7 chapters, 2 sub-chapters), the app locked up on the 5th chapter giving me the "Error reading chapter of book" error msg.

Clicking on OK does not free app for further usage.  I tried clicking on book arrows, the back arrow to get out of book resource, the "..." to go to resources, nothing worked.

Had to shut down app to exit and re-enter to continue.

Attachment CantClearErrorMsg.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Edsell

Re: MM2.1 - "Error reading chapter of book" locks app

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Tim,

I accessed the app using the test account you provided me a while ago but I wasn't able to find this book. Can you give me access to it?

Also, since it's the same book as the one in the topic "MM2.1 Error downloading module files" we can talk about both issues in here.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Tim Edsell -

Dani,

The reason you could not access the other book, is due to me turning on "Restrict Access" as my website went live last night.

That stated, a change in path:

Intermediate Coxswains course>Become a Technical Cox>Coaching Your Crew>The Coxswain Eye.

I discovered that this issue may be caused by the error message being sent by Vimeo.  Once all of their "Sorry...." screens are loaded, the app locks.  Interestingly, if you return to the topics screen and then go back to the book/chapter, it scrolls fine.

Hope this helps.  Thanks for the assistance.

(p.s. I am working with Vimeo to resolve the "Sorry..." issue.  I may have more info to share about that issue.  Question:  what is MM using to play embedded videos?)

In reply to Tim Edsell

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tim,

I accessed again and I was able to download and navigate through all the books I found in the "Intermediate" course, so I can't reproduce the issue you reported in the first post.

The book you talk about works fine for me except for the Vimeo videos not loading. These videos are attached exactly like in Moodle, using an iframe:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/137758732?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The console log shows these error messages for the videos:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden)

Seems they're blocking the video.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Tim Edsell -

Dani,

Wow.  Thank you for sending me the error report being sent by Vimeo.  They have been saying it's on my/our side all along and I've been saying...b s ...

This probably explains all the error messages I've been receiving.

Don't know why my G s6 locks up as it does...bummer.

Can't thank you (Fred, and Juan) enough for your patience, guidance, etc.

Well Done!

In reply to Dani Palou

by Tim Edsell -

Dani (or Juan/Fred),

I'm curious to learn what software (? I don't know the correct term) MM uses to link to videos and for playback.  I'm having a disagreement with Vimeo as to the error msg they are sending.  I'd like to let them know what "we" are using.

Thanks!

In reply to Tim Edsell

by Dani Palou -
One question, how did you add those videos to the book? Did you use the multimedia filter? A Vimeo repository plugin?

Thanks,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Tim Edsell -

It was a multi-step process.

Initially, I tried to link the video using the "Link" button in the Menu bar.  When the video was displayed, it had several things I do not want.

Then, I learned to do the following.

1.  To get the video to display the way I  need it (no title, byline, etc.); in Vimeo, I had to set the video to Private, open each video and go to "Show Options" and remove the tick marks for the settings I do not want.

2.  Then I had to copy the URL code for the video.

3.  I return to Moodle, open the chapter in edit mode.

4.  Using the menu bar, I went into HTML mode.

5.  Located the place where I wanted to embed the Vimeo URL code and pasted it.

6.  Had to make some further editing of the Vimeo URL code  to remove additional stuff I do not want.

Let me know how else I may assist.

(p.s.  I reported the "403" error msg. to Vimeo.  They wish to contact you (or Juan/Fred) directly to resolve the issue.  Is there a way they may do so?)

In reply to Tim Edsell

by Dani Palou -

Hi again Tim,

in the number 2 step, did you copy only the URL of the video (https://player.vimeo.com/video/...) or did you copy the whole HTML code to show it (<iframe ...)? I tried to reproduce your steps but the only way I could make the video work was to copy the full HTML code (including the iframe). Also, since I don't have any private video I couldn't reproduce the issue.

I'm going to send you mi e-mail via private message so Vimeo can contact me.

Cheers,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Tim Edsell -

Hi Dani,

Yes, I ended up having to copy the HTML code that uses <iframe>.  I understand that you could not re-create since it only deals with videos that are private.

Thank you for the PM.  I will send to Vimeo.

Best,

Tim