What is the best option for Mathematics authoring tool and equation editor

What is the best option for Mathematics authoring tool and equation editor

by Monty Singh -
Number of replies: 8

I am looking for the most intensive Math authoring tool, which is Moodle compatible and is both developer as well as student friendly, which lets the students to edit and write equitation and other math related problems

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monty Singh

Re: What is the best option for Mathematics authoring tool and equation editor

by ben reynolds -

Sorry. I don't have an answer, but I want to see responses to your question.

In reply to Monty Singh

by Derek Chirnside -

Monty, this is a complex question.

You may need to use some sort of markup.

The question is probably different for developer and student.

Easy to use, powerful: usually you pick one.

Comments:

1. Google add-on  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gmath/hhaencnpmaacoojogjkobikbmkhikjmm
  2. Libre office equation editor:
  3. This passed through my physics list yesterday, and I have not used it: http://maxima.sourceforge.net/
  4. Moodle plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/view/atto_wiris
    http://www.wiris.com/en/solutions/moodle

Don't forget to Google the Moodle forums.  Two or three names in particular may pop up.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

As Derek suggests, this is a very complex question, it currently has no definitive answer. I have found that even though computers are so heavily wrapped by maths, in every stage of their development and operation, Maths is the one subject they are really poor at in its presentation. Whether it be Arithmetic, Algebra, Calculus or anything else, including representing physics, chemistry, biology or any other form of scientific Maths.  (I am not a dev, and my programming days are long gone, so really cannot explain why this is still the case.) Having said that, the one tool I have found that does work in a normal web environment, and can work in a Moodle is TeX, more specifically TeXLive. 

There are many different brands of TeX, and a decent TeX filter is not easy to find, but this is the best I have found so far. The syntax is pretty clear, but involved, so there is a learning curve. There is a lot of online, free, manuals available to give anyone who can read a good chance at picking it up relatively quickly though.

These forums have TeXLive activated, but the release versions can have support for TeXLive or MathJax relatively easily installed. 

Solve \( e^{5x} \) for x giving an exact expression. (Using MathJax)

When using roots of squares, arguments can become tedious, $$\sqrt{4^2}=4$$ or some logarithms are obvious $$log_{10}100 = 2$$ The two above are TeX.

And the presentation here is not what I would like to see in my student's work. That, I think, is Atto, just using an arbitrary centred alignment rather than allowing a user choice the TeX, but it aligns the MathJax properly.  

An alternative though can be using the Generico filter and importing WolframAlpha widgets for people to use. Whether that can be made available to students, though, without giving them editing capability, I can't say.  That, I suspect, is going to be the sticking point.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Ben Kelada -
moodle moved from tex to mathjax and the inline delimiters changed from
$$ equation $$
to
\{ equation \)

inline  \( log_{10}100 = 2 \) equation

In reply to Ben Kelada

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The TeX notation filter is still part of the standard distribution, but MathJax is turned on by default in newer installs. There are ways of supporting the older convention without necessarily rewriting all double dollar delimiters.

In reply to Monty Singh

by Damyon Wiese -
As this was your first post to the forums, I just wanted to make sure that you were aware that Moodle comes with an equation editor built in and enabled by default.

It is enabled in this forum, you can try it out and see if it has enough features for what you need. The other options mentioned in this thread are good suggestions - but if the default editor does everything you need, then all is well.

https://docs.moodle.org/29/en/Text_editor#Equation_editor
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Damyon Wiese

by Joel Armando -

I'm also trying to understand wich is the best equation editor option. I understand equation editor requires either MathJax or Tex notation filter enabled. From the previous discussion, I'm concluding that using the MatJax filters would be better than Tex filters: png format and better quality of images. Is that right?

I also understand that ATTO and TinyMCE provide different equation editors... Any preference on that?

In reply to Joel Armando

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The Atto equation editor will work with either MathJax or the TeX filter or with both at once.  Which filters to use really should depend on how you want the final content to be displayed rather than the choice of the editor.

In Moodle 2.8+ Tinymce does not have an editor installed by default. You can install either the WIRIS plugin or the Mathslate editor plugin. Both of these have Atto versions so you can have the formula editor in both TinyMCE and Atto. WIRIS requires WIRIS filter to be enabled and a subscription.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)