Offline preparation of Quiz in Word to convert into XML for use as Activity in Moodle course

Offline preparation of Quiz in Word to convert into XML for use as Activity in Moodle course

by Murugesan R -
Number of replies: 2

Dear Ms. Mary Cooch and other(s) related to this domain,

Good afternoon (PT)!

This has reference to my addressing the subject issue with you over the past week. Being a learner of Moodle, may be I'm not conversant with several techniques/features of Moodle yet!

For use with my technical course(s) at Moodle platform, I wanted to create quiz offline in Word format, as doing the same at the specified quit activity site is cumbersome and time consuming. Having considered the suggestions of my course colleagues at 'Teaching with Moodle', I embarked on creating a quiz of 20 questions with answers in Word, converted them using VLEtools to XML for use in my Moodle practice course titled, 'Industrial Automation for Working Executives'. In spite of my several attempts, I could not export this as Activity (Quiz). All I could do was to place this as a file as a Resource (as you can see at end of my course Topic 4).

Since I couldn't invite anyone else to my course to test this site, I myself took the quiz; unfortunately (because it is under resource), my answers were not evaluated and graded! When you find some time, please visit my course, specifically the Quiz at end of Topic 2 and this one at end of Topic 4 and offer your suggestions to overcome the constraint to use the XML file effectively in Quiz.

I'm sorry for this long message to convey in detail my requirement and the issues faced. I request your support on this count asap.

Best regards,

Dr. R. Murugesan

email id: drmurugesanr@gmail.com

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Murugesan R

Re: Offline preparation of Quiz in Word to convert into XML for use as Activity in Moodle course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again, from another Moodle Community site. Following information in your private message to me, I looked at the two quizzes in question in your practice course on Learn Moodle. The first one, the Quiz on Instrumentation, looks fine and next week when participants can enrol in each others's courses you will see that the grades will appear correctly. However, your first question is an essay question which you must grade manually. Thus, participants won't get a final grade unless you mark their essay.

Your other quiz is a Hotpotatoes quiz saved as a resource. This works fine in that students will see a grade but as you have noticed, that grade will not transfer to your gradebook. If you want to use HotPotatoes quizzes in the gradebook, you must either save them as SCORM (it is an option when you save your quiz) and add them to the SCORM part  of the Activity chooser -or your Moodle admin needs to install the HotPot plugin to your site, after which you can simply add regular HotPotatoes quizzes and they will be graded.

If you use a program to make questions that are then saved in XML format, what you have to do to get them into a quiz is used the Import questions feature and then retrieve the questions from your question bank to add into your quiz.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Offline preparation of Quiz in Word to convert into XML for use as Activity in Moodle course

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In reply to your request, here is how to make a HotPotatoes file work with the gradebook:

Open up your HotPotatoes program which you presumably downloaded and installed. Then open up the original project file which you saved when you made your quiz. It should end in jqz or jsomething. NOT the final .html file. Then go to File  and click Create SCORM packatge.... This is what I see on my HotPotatoes program:

Then go to your course and upload the package into the SCORM option in the Activity chooser. Documentation here: SCORM

As I said previously, if your administrator can install the HotPotatoes plugin then you don't need to do any of this; it connects to the gradebook automatically.