Learn Moodle Videos

Learn Moodle Videos

by Dhruva Maharaja D -
Number of replies: 8

I'm enrolled in the Learn Moodle course (which is excellent!), and especially appreciate the effort put into the videos. The presentations are so nice in fact, that I'd like to know details about the type, size, etc. Can you please share that, Mary? What program did you use to create them?

It seems technical question are not appropriate for that course's forums, so I'm placing the question here.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dhruva Maharaja D

Re: Learn Moodle Videos

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello and thanks for your question. The playlist is below and to be honest, I simply made them by recording the screen using Camtasia  and saving as mp4 High Quality and then uploading to Youtube and adjusting the captions. I know Camtasia is expensive but I like it. I also know whenever  I tell this story we then get lots of other people suggesting other, usually free, video editing programs - which is fine - but I am familiar with Camtasia now smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dhruva Maharaja D -
Thanks for the information about Camtasia, Mary.

I'm also interested to know how you configured the auto-responder when I first enrolled in the course? I see you used the "Course Notice Board" plugin, and will get that installed. Is it pretty self-explanatory, or can you give a brief explanation?

And thank you again for such a wonderful format and useful information!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

We did not use a "Course noticeboard" plugin - it is just the standard News forum which was renamed. And the "auto responder" is the custom welcome message when people self enrol into a course, which you can customise within the self enrolment settings. And thanks for your thanks!

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dhruva Maharaja D -

The more I interact with Learning Moodle, the more I'm appreciating the details. Which theme did you use? I'd like to use it on my personal site too......is there a way to find out which theme a site is in? There are so many!

by Mary Cooch -

it's a customised theme, available here https://github.com/barbararamiro/moodle-theme_learnmoodle but beware! surprise

The theme was made and shared the first time we did the MOOC in 2013 so it was made for an older version of Moodle. Although the theme on our LearnMoodle site has been updated for the latest version, the original one hasn't, so you use it on a modern version of Moodle at your own risk.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dhruva Maharaja D -

I appreciate your prompt replies, Mary......my you're organized!

Can you please explain how you configured your Front Page for the Learn Moodle course? I can't figure out how you did it, and it's very efficient bringing the student to the login page.

https://learn.moodle.net/

by Mary Cooch -

You mean the Learn Moodle site? Sorry - I can't help with that one  because it is a customised theme. But the buttons on it are just simple CSS buttons with links in them that take you to a page of your choice. I think you can find such button code easily on the internet. http://getbootstrap.com/css/#buttons