API errors when launching Lectora SCORM package

API errors when launching Lectora SCORM package

by Chris Palaima -
Number of replies: 7
Hello! 

I am extremely new to creating SCORM content and utilizing Moodle. I have done a ton of research trying to identify and solve my API issues to no avail. So, I am hoping that someone here may be able to help me or put me on the right path. Here is an overview of the issues I am seeing:

1. Course player launches the content and it appears to be stuck or frozen with the text on the page appearing pushed to the top left. (see attached image "player display")

2. If i right click on the player and select "Refresh" an error appears - "LMSInitialize Error : General Exception". Once I click okay or exit on that error pop up the player allows me to navigate through the content without an issue. I get all the way to the end and the player will not close when I click on the exit button. 

3. I took a screen shot of the SCORM API activity log ( see attached image SORM API Activity log). 

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Chris 

Attachment Picture5.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Palaima

Re: API errors when launching Lectora SCORM package

by Melanie Scott -

When I first started publishing in Lectora, I had similar problems.  Understanding the complexities and interactions between the LMS and the package can be frustrating and daunting.  You said you were new to developing SCORM, if you already know this stuff...well, it never hurts to hear it again and if you don't, hey, new stuff.  Here's a couple tips:

Moodle:  When you open the SCORM in Moodle, don't refresh it, ever.  It breaks the connection between the package and the system...that's probably why you get the scary message. 

I don't see your player display image.  In your SCORM settings, Auto-update frequency tends to mess things up...I always go for Never. 

I display my package in a new window.  I've seen some comments in the past year or so that Current window works okay now but in the bad old days (1.6, 1.9), it had problems, so I'm stuck on New window.

I do not display course structure on entry page (though this shouldn't impact the module opening, it's aesthetic). 

I don't force new attempts or lock after the final.

I leave the compatibility settings at no.

Lectora:  When you build a module in Lectora, you have to set it up to be a scorm...title, title options...title type.  If you don't add an assignable unit to the module (this is the orange folder icon on the home ribbon that says AU, it won't publish properly, even if it publishes successfully, without errors.  The first is without an AU the second is with.  It doesn't look much different but it makes a lot of difference.  I've been working with Lectora for seven years...my first module didn't have an AU and it had problems.

Title explorer without assignable unit  title explorer with assignable unit

Another thing you have to do is make sure you have a grade and a marker to indicate pass/fail or complete/incomplete.  If you have a quiz, these are set in the quiz settings.  If you don't, manually set them with variables on the last page.  I set two actions:  On Show->Modify Variable->AICC Score->Set Equal To->100 (all of ours go for a 100, set it to the number you want) and On Show->Modify Variable->AICC_Lesson_Status->Set Equal To->completed (all lower case is important, either Lectora or Moodle is crabby about it.  Other LMS's require it to be title case or complete rather than completed...). 

Hope this is helpful!

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Chris Palaima -

Melanie, 

Thank you for taking the time to respond! The information was absolutely helpful but i am still stuck with the same issues. Here is a picture of the content in the player. Not necessary

What it should really look like is this: 

Is there potentially a variable that I am not setting at the beginning of the course that would cause the LMS not to initialize? If  there is any other information that i could send that might help please let me know. 

Your help is greatly appreciated! 

Thank you,

Chris 

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chris,
you should activate the Developer Tools of your browser (e.g. <F12>), select the "Net" tab and look for any HTTP error during the loading. Indeed, I'm not sure that the error on LMSInitialize() is related with the missing of images: just to be sure that slash arguments are working fine on the server hosting your Moodle instance.

HTH,
Matteo

by John Papworth -

Hello

Check the ZIP file to make sure the graphic images are located in there.

KR

John

In reply to John Papworth

by Chris Palaima -

Hi John, 

Thank you for the input. The graphic images are located in the zip file inside of a folder labeled images. 

After working with the Trivantis/Lectora they believe that the issue is potentially with Moodle...More specifically with this code line (m is not defined) var callback = M.mod_scorm.connectPrereqCallback;

Thank you,

Chris 

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chris,
what is your Moodle version? Do you have a custom theme or some blocks with custom JavaScript code? It looks like something broke the SCORM JavaScript code of your Moodle instance.

If you want to play your package in a Moodle sandbox, you could use http://demo.moodle.net to check if plain Moodle has issues with your package.

HTH,
Matteo

by Melanie Scott -

Sorry it took so long to reply...I get busy and/or distracted and then it's thirty days later.

Another thing in Lectora that sometimes causes problems...if the page titles in your modules have punctuation at the end, it may fail to display some or all of the page.  This is not always consistent...but I've seen it be the culprit before.  I try to keep punctuation out of page titles entirely and keep titles short-ish.

And, if the title includes the word attachment or an abbreviation for it, sometimes in IE it will not display because IE believes it is trying to open an attachment in a sneaky way and blocks the page.

These might not be your problems...but they are options.