How on earth do I edit my quiz???

How on earth do I edit my quiz???

by Claire Taylor-Jay -
Number of replies: 26

I may be being incredibly dense here but this seems to be yet another example of how user-unfriendly Moodle is. I am trying to set up a multiple choice quiz for the first time. I did a couple of questions, then changed to viewing as a student so I could see what it looked like, and filled in some answers myself. Now I want to go back and edit the rest of it - but if I click on the quiz name, I just get a 'summary of your previous attempts' and my grade. (Screenshot below.) The only things I can see to click are 'attempts' or 'preview quiz now', neither of which get me to the editing screen.

How on earth do I go back to editing? I am feeling like the only solution is to delete the whole thing and start again, but surely there must be another way.

(I have no idea which version of Moodle I'm using - another thing that is user-unfriendly. All I can say is that it's not the most recent one.)

Attachment 2015-08-17_1513.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Claire Taylor-Jay

Re: How on earth do I edit my quiz???

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

When have reverted to your normal role again and  you are on that page of your screenshot, scroll down and look to the sides of your course - left and right. You should see an Administration block which should say Quiz administration and then a bit further down - Edit quiz. Click the link Edit quiz to edit your quiz.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Claire Taylor-Jay -

Aha! Thank you so much! (It could be a little more obvious though, for technophobes like me...)

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

We need articulate technophobes like you Claire. Actually the Quiz had some very cool improvements in usability, but I thought it was really usable before those improvements. Betware the geek sad

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I fear that it is a mixed blessing that we have the nice clear 'Edit quiz' button when you first create a quiz.

That makes it obvious what you have to do then, but it does not teach you that what you will have to do later, to modify your quiz, is to look in the Administration block.

Probably, rather than the 'Edit quiz' button the first time, we shoud have a big red arrow pointing to 'Edit quiz' in the Admin block. However, doing that so that it works in any Moodle theme would be rather hard.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Claire Taylor-Jay -

Actually, I spoke too soon....

I want to add more questions, but when I get to the editing page, it now says 'You cannot add or remove questions because this quiz has been attempted.' How do I get round this (or just delete my trial attempt)? I've been through most of the 'quiz administration' block and can't see anything that looks likely to help.

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, Claire. Yes, you are correct that you will need to delete your trial attempt to add or delete questions from a quiz. Once the quiz has attempts, it (Moodle) assumes that the quiz is live and that adding or deleting questions would compromise the integrity of the assessment. This is true, of course, if the attempts represent actual assessments. Like you, I often run test students through first to make sure feedback is showing up the way I want it to show up etc. I have learned to delete those attempts when I need to tweak the quiz a bit more before taking it live "for real" with actual students.

One other lesson I learned the hard way early on: it makes life easier for everyone (both you and your students) if the max points somewhat correspond with the overall weight system you have set up inside your quiz for how much you want questions to count. In other words, you will get fewer questions from students if you balance the max grade and question points areas so they equal each other for total points. My two cents, there. I didn't always do it that way if it wasn't a quiz that counted for much toward a grade (ie. it was more of a formative assessment or a pre-test). This mattered more to students when they needed to see logical math calculating their grade in one place on a summative final. smile

Attachment QuizMaxGrade.png
Average of ratings:Useful (1)

by ben reynolds -

Claire,

View attempts. Click the checkbox beside the name of your student tester. Scroll to just below Overall average. Click "Delete selected attempts."

In reply to ben reynolds

by Lesli Smith -

Good grief, that was some pretty crucial info I forgot to include above. Thanks, Ben. And that is why I love this community. Someone will have your back, Claire! smile

In reply to Lesli Smith

by ben reynolds -

That will happen. I could see you getting excited about the other issue. So, we're all good.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Claire Taylor-Jay -

Nope, still not got there. So I've clicked on 'Attempts: 1' as in my screenshot above. But there is no name, and therefore no checkbox to click. It just tells me 'no students enrolled in this course yet', then 'what to include in the report' and 'display options'. So I don't know what I can delete.

I did the test as myself, not as a fictional student (ie. I had just gone to student view, not logged out of my account), if that makes a difference?

by Lesli Smith -

Hi, Claire. If you did the quiz as yourself, you won't show up in the report for enrolled users as you are the teacher. Your score is attached to your user profile now, and you are not in a "role that can be graded" in this course now that you switched back to your normal role. However, if you switch the report to "all users" you should be able to see your attempt. I just tested it in 2.8.7 and it worked, anyway.

Try the report dropdown for all users. Then you should see a tick box next to your attempt and the option to delete checked attempts. If you still don't see it or if that was what you meant by "tried the what to include in report options" let us know. The next thing I would try if I were needing to do this to my teacher id would be to add the student role to my id in the enrolled users area. Once the report recognizes you as having a role that can be graded in the course, your attempt *should* show up in the quiz attempts report. Let us know how it goes.

Attachment Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 7.18.07 AM.png
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Claire Taylor-Jay -

I've done that (after a bit of head-scratching), but it's still not letting me get anywhere near back to editing. I'm still getting something like the original screenshot I posted yesterday, except now I don't get something saying 'Attempts: 1' to click on either.

To be honest, I am losing the will to live. I might just delete the whole quiz and start again sad Why does this have to be so difficult, Moodle???

by ben reynolds -

Hmm. I followed Lesli's instructions in 2.6+, used the drop to get "all users . . .", got my student view attempt, checked the box, hit delete attempt, and I can edit my quiz.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Lesli Smith -

Thanks, Ben. I was feeling Claire's pain fairly acutely today as I have definitely been there in building quizzes for my courses. Earlier I did replicate, I think, what might have happened for her as I crossed over preview attempts and switch role attempts with my teacher user in two separate times accessing the quiz questions while updating my documentation on how to access what where in Moodle 2.9. 

In the event that this latest draft of instructor documentation sheds some light on it for you, Claire, here is a link to my first draft of it. I'm hoping that perhaps pictures will better convey what I have been trying to convey in words. Best,

Lesli

In reply to Lesli Smith

by Claire Taylor-Jay -

Thanks for that Lesli. I think I have an older version of Moodle so it didn't look exactly the same, but it did at least give me the possibility to go into the Question Bank and add questions that way.

I'm still not entirely convinced it's worth the pain, though!

by Lesli Smith -

Oh, good. Glad you got into your question bank at least. Yes, it will be worth the initial front end work. I started doing the final exam in my doc that way when I happened to be teaching that unit at the end of a term. Finals ended at 11:30 a.m. or so and grades were due by 3 p.m. Choices? Scantron bubbles that students would never remember or a Moodle final that grades itself AND gives them feedback in areas that might help them to remember concepts better in the future. It was no contest, really. Good luck with your quiz building!

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Maybe it is painful.  But what are your alternatives that might produce less pain?  Pencil and paper quizzes?  A different LMS?  Stop teaching?

(Just trying to help put all of this into perspective.  And maybe you really do have some other good alternatives.  If you keep up with learning Moodle and the quiz feature, I am one who believes that in about a six to twelve months, you will be wondering why you ever thought this was hard.  smile )

by ben reynolds -

You should also be able to duplicate the quiz, essentially creating a new one, and deleting the old one. I haven't done this in a while, so I'm rusty on just how to do that.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Graham Moir -

On a negative note, trying to duplicate the quiz (by hitting the 'duplicate' icon) just comes up with "unknown error" for me in 2.9+

On a positive note, in 2.9+, deleting the attempt allows me to edit the current quiz.

In reply to Graham Moir

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you are getting an error, and want to know more, turn on Debugging. Without the full error message that gives, it is hard to say more.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Graham Moir -

Point taken Tim, although in this case I'm not sure it's going to help.

I turned on debugging, tried the duplicate function again and received the unknown error with null, null and null.

See the screenshot.

Attachment duplicate quiz unknown error.png
In reply to Graham Moir

by Tim Hunt -

That is irritating. In this case, since the error is appearing in a JavaScript pop-up, then you might be able to get more information like this:

1. Use a web browser with good debugging tools (Firefox or Chrome)
  2. Press F12 to open the developer tools.
  3. Swtich to the Network tab.
  4. Try the duplicate again. Hopefully you can see the request that fails. It will probalby be in red.
  5. Switch to the Consle tab in the developer tools and see if there are any other clues there.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Graham Moir -

I did what you suggested Tim. 

Both network and console tabs tell me that it was another useful error - error 500 "Internal Server Error" from rest.php

Thing is the site is running fine without problems, so I hope this isn't indicative of a hidden dangerous corruption.

In reply to Graham Moir

by Tim Hunt -

No, it will just be this one thing that is not working.

Could it just be that this is a bit course, so it is running out of memory/time for this one request?

If you can find the log files on the server, they may have more info.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Graham Moir -

Just wanted to close this problem out. 

I believe it was a permissions issue.  Basically my ISP, Heart Internet in the UK, does not grant the "Create Temporary Table" privilege on MySql databases by default.  It has to be requested.   As soon as this permission was granted the "Internal Server Error" message when trying the duplicate function, disappeared.

by Ellen B Cutler -

Claire, you fellow technophobe! So nice to hear I am not the only one!

In the matter of quizzes--and I still have so many problems--I find it best and safest to get the entire quiz constructed and edited to the best of my ability and then PREVIEW the quiz staying in instructor/administrator mode. You can sort most problems out this way. Changing your ID to student is also a good idea, but most of the time I try to stay out of the quiz and just "look" when I am in student mode.

Now back to my own quiz problems! ;-(

Ellen