Timed discussions

Re: Timed discussions

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I am not sure if my solution will serve you.

In my discussions, I use Ratings.  Then, I set an ending Rating date to correspond with when the discussions have to be made by, for points/credit. When the date passes, any student making a post no longer allows me to Rate their post, so they cannot get credit for late posts.  So either you, or even students can post after the due date, but the students late posts cannot be rated.

Consider visiting the Moodle Tracker system and voting for MDL-31355.  It is targeted at providing some improved "date" features to forums.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by H Singh -
You are right. It is close thematically to what is needed but isn't quite.

There is no credit for requesting a regrade. I just need a cut-off for the date up to which the regrade discussion can be added on to (for students).

In reply to H Singh

by Russell Waldron -

Would a Feedback tool be better for requesting regrades?

1. student responses are not visible to other students

2. the response form can be structured with mandatory fields (e.g. reason, original grade) and options (e.g. Task, type of request) and pages/questions which are automatically offered if students make certain choices (e.g. Special consideration policy).

3. after submission, the tool automatically displays a message (e.g. Your request will be reviewed within 3 business days...) and opens another activity (e.g. Assignment: late submissions).

4. Statistical summaries and export of all responses may be administratively more convenient than threaded conversations.

In reply to Russell Waldron

by H Singh -

Had not thought of this, but you are right - that is a better tool. The only problem is that it creates a mess on the front page, unlike a forum which can be tucked away inside a single Regrades forum.

I suspect that that is because even though it fits, it wasn't meant for this purpose for courses with several evaluation components that might require regrades.