Moodle "GCSE"

Moodle "GCSE"

by Paul Taylor -
Number of replies: 2

This is pretty UK specific and sort of directed at Mary, but should be generally of interest.

I work for an Awarding Organisation (exam board in old money) and we have a vocational qualification which currently is awarded league table points and equivalent to a L1 and L2 qualification.  The qualification has a mandatory unit on planning using IT and IT user security.  There is then a choice of 3 or so optional units.  We have a large number of schools doing the qualification and new schools coming on board want some guidance on what to start out with as there is a large choice of optional units.  To deal with this I have made some basic courses (created on Moodle as a guide for them) with units based on word processing and spreadsheets etc, and some others based on combinations of units for support roles, graphic design, game development etc.  I have called these "flavours".  These have been quite popular.  However, since almost all of the schools use Moodle and eLearning is a growth industry, I am currently designing an eLearning Flavour.  It is based on the new Moodle Cloud offering.  The idea is that students register their own Moodle Cloud site and they then plan, design, deliver and support a Moodle course of their own design.  This gives them the ability to learn really useful skills, and share some personalised skill they have (rather than doing a pre-set unit from some text book on making a shop or web site for an outdoor activity company etc).  The end result is hopefully a happy and skilled student with a L2 qualification and a happy school with league table points.  Win-win?

The course will be specific to our regulated course, but I will happily share it on the hub once completed as it may fit more generally with other AO's offerings.

Feedback and comments most welcome.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Paul Taylor

Re: Moodle "GCSE"

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paul - I think this is a great idea, and I'll take anything you have going thanksbig grin

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle "GCSE"

by Paul Taylor -

I'll let you know when it is done.  Maybe you can cast a Moodle Fairy eye over it.