Groups and activity dependent sub-groups

Re: Groups and activity dependent sub-groups

by H Singh -
Number of replies: 2

Thanks.

I have taken a look at the docs for groupings and groups. (https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Groupings, and https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Groupings_FAQ).

The issue is that sections are defined externally by the University and we are setting up Moodle to simply use those.

My understanding is that groupings are collections of groups.

The question is that if I ask our admin to instead generate groupings from externally provided section data, can I then decompose each grouping into multiple groups? This is the opposite of how groupings are seemingly defined.

I am looking to make manual subgroups of groups, not combine groups into larger groupings.

In reply to H Singh

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

A grouping is like a category - there are no students in a grouping - it is just a way of telling an assignment that you want to use a certain set of groups.  You can manually create the groups in the course and then assign those groups to a grouping.  You then tell the assignment that you want the assignment to use that particular grouping and then you have those groups set up for that assignment.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by H Singh -

Thanks for the further explanation.

Manually creating groups is a non-starter:

1. I have 460 students. Group'ing them is not exactly a task that should be done by an error-prone and time-strapped human being.

2. These groups are externally defined for a reason - they correspond to exam schedules, lab schedules, seating plans, etc.

Defining these manually is thus bad design for our use case, even if I could do it error free by some miracle.

I will not, and wish not to tamper with the creation of groups myself. What I need is sub-groups that I can manually create out of these predefined groups. It does not look like Moodle can do that.

Please correct me if I am wrong.