How to monitor the system

How to monitor the system

by fevzi gungor -
Number of replies: 9
I need to monitor my RedHat 9 Machine. Though i can write the output of "ps aux" to a file with a cron i dont wanna do it. There must be some simple daemon wich graphs the CPU RAM and Network Usage. Are there actually? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to fevzi gungor

Re: How to monitor the system

by Ger Tielemans -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by fevzi gungor -
Yes something like that but much simpler.

This is an instant method. I want to see the timeline. I guess i will have to write netstat and ps aux to a file then parse it with php. And graph with gd.

I had thought this to be a common matter to all admins.
In reply to fevzi gungor

by Martín Langhoff -
> I had thought this to be a common matter to all admins.

Of course it is. That's why we use sysstat wink
In reply to fevzi gungor

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you really want the time line and don't mind going the SNMP way, you can use UCD-SNMP in your Unix/Linux boxes and get all the info into something like JFFNMS (www.jffnms.org), or Nagios (www.nagios.org) or even OpenNMS (bigger, better, more difficult to setup: www.opennms.org).

SNMP is also available on WinNT/W2K/XP/W2K3, but AFAIK you can't script any private OIDs like you can in UCD-SNMP (for example, to get the number of moodle users currently logged on, like Martin does).

I find jffnms easy to setup (its a LAMP/WAMP solution) and flexible enough for my needs.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to fevzi gungor

by Martín Langhoff -
for a 1 server setup, use sysstat (the sar utility), there are some graphing add-ons for it.

We use SNMP to collect data with MRTG and others. In fact, I have a small patch to Moodle that adds 'current number of moodle users' so we can match cpu/mem/disk usage to user activity. That's great in a multi-server setup.

cheers
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by fevzi gungor -
Mine is a multi moodle on one server with one code multiple db setup . However the patch could work for me. Can i find the patch somewhere in the forums?

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Ger Tielemans -
Our ICT-department likes Moodle so much that they moved my system to a SAN with two front-ends, even before I begged them to do so smile.

We did not change ANYTHING To Moodle, and also the webadress is the same. All other things did change: Linux-type and version, Mysql type and version, php-version, internal IP-adress-range...

And now we have a strange problem: using IE Moodle gives (often) page not found errors (1 out of two for the same page), while Firefox on the same machine on the same moment (my laptop with two screens) works normal as IE did before... Any clue in which direction we must look? 

Especially forms have this problem: I tested it on our version 143+ and 152, both have this new disease..
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Ger,
           I don't know if that apply to you but, last month after upgrading I got something similar but on windows server platform. Another  difference from your constatation, is that  Moodle 1.4.3 worked fine with new configuration. Responses time were about 30% shorter with that new configuration.

Only moodle 1.5.2+ having problem with only "old" IE about 50% of the time. Firefox were ok.

I  wasn't able to pinpoint exactly the problem ( skills, time and chance all were missing ) but downgrading to Easyphp ( php 4 ) instead of Xampp ( php 5 ) correct all the problems.  I created that  poor windows man sever stress program to be sure that at least 25 students were able to receive their requested pages from the server even if the response was slow.

I hope it may help,

Bernard