Essential theme for Moodle 2.8 (stable) and 2.9 (beta) released.

Essential theme for Moodle 2.8 (stable) and 2.9 (beta) released.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 30
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers,

M2.8 stable: https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=9022 with:

- FIX: Issue #514: Quiz feedback colours are not accessible.
- FIX: Issue #515: Gradebook Tabs Not Left Justified.
- FIX: Issue #517: Mobile nav button overflow.
- FIX: Issue #517: Lesson table padding removed.
- FIX: No 'loginas' URL when logged in as another user, ref: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=315453.
- FIX: More colour adjustments to navigation menus with alternative colours.
- FIX: #adminsettings h3 colour in alternative colours.
- FIX: Course drag and drop icon tricky to use.
- FIX: Action menu hover text colour.
- FIX: Navbar and dropdown adjustments to make cohesive with alternative colours.
- FIX: More navbar and breadcrumb colour fixes.
- FIX: Drag and Drop Image Qtype Drop Zones entry boxes too big.
- FIX: Quiz navigation block preview icon not FontAwesome instance.
- FIX: MDL-50869.
- NEW: MDL-37832.
- NEW: MDL-50711.
- NEW: Added alternative icon color setting.

M2.9 beta (has 'Development version - test server only' at top of pages because that what it is!  Please don't ask me to remove it, but rather test and feedback or sponsor the theme.  Ask not what Essential can do for you, but ask what you can do for Essential): https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversion.php?id=9023 with:

- FIX: Issue #514: Quiz feedback colours are not accessible.
- FIX: Issue #515: Gradebook Tabs Not Left Justified.
- FIX: Issue #517: Mobile nav button overflow.
- FIX: Issue #517: Lesson table padding removed.
- FIX: #adminsettings h3 colour in alternative colours.
- FIX: Course drag and drop icon tricky to use.
- FIX: Action menu hover text colour.
- FIX: Navbar and dropdown adjustments to make cohesive with alternative colours.
- FIX: Drag and Drop Image Qtype Drop Zones entry boxes too big.
- FIX: Quiz navigation block preview icon not FontAwesome instance.
- FIX: MDL-50869.
- NEW: MDL-37832.
- NEW: MDL-50711.

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Essential theme for Moodle 2.8 (stable) and 2.9 (beta) released.

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Gareth,

Can you present a date when "Development version - test server only' at top of pages will be removed? This month, August, ...?

Thx, Kees

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Richard Schwarz -
I can't speak for Gareth, but I can make an educated guess from the other conversations that have gone on... It'll come off when the theme is ready, which will be when Gareth is happy with the standard.  Of course, to hurry this along, you could financially support its development... I could do likewise, of course.
In reply to Richard Schwarz

by Kees Koopman -

Thx!

Kees

In reply to Kees Koopman

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Kees,

As has been already indicated, it will happen when it happens.  Essential is developed / maintained essentially when I want to or kick myself over a silly bug I've introduced.  Sponsorships help, they incentivise me to make more progress as I want to give something back for the generosity.

Essential is complex.  For instance, take this little nugget that Mary found for me: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=317253#p1271998 because she was looking at the code.  There is only me.  I am human.  I make mistakes.  I miss things.  Otherwise extreme / pair programming would not exist (Kent Beck and Martin Fowler I believe?).  When David Bezmer was working on the theme, then some mistakes were spotted and you never got to know about them.  Therefore testing from the community is absolutely vital.  Often the best way to have a bug spotted is to make a release, which is why I have here.  In fact, look at the list for 2.9.0.7 already: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/README.txt#L190-L195.  I run a developer site locally on my PC, there are no other users, no other people pointing things out as 'oddities', you have the theme and are in a position to do so for your situation and combination of plugins.  I will spot things as I develop my course formats and other bits.  But often I'm in another theme such as Shoelace, Shoehorn, Campus or Clean.

Gareth

by Kees Koopman -

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for your comprehensive answer and all the good work you do for the theme "Essential"!

Regards,

Kees.

by S. Ali -

Hello Gareth,

Thank for the continued work on the theme!

I've installed and been using both versions since their release and all was fine until yesterday when I discovered an issue.

It has to do with the menus not being displayed properly on mobile devices (or if you make the browser very narrow).

Applies to both the 2.8 (2.8.1.6 (Build: 2015061900)) and 2.9 beta. Tested with Firefox, Chrome and IE on Win 8.1 and Firefox on Android.

Moodle 2.9.1+ (Build: 20150723) and Moodle 2.8.5+ (Build: 20150414)

On mobile or narrow browser - the menu items are not displayed:

On regular browser - works as expected.

Note: With Essential 2.8.1.5 (Build: 2015040900) it works fine.

Regards,

s.ali

In reply to S. Ali

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks for the report S. Ali, looks like the issue is caused by removal of: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/commit/b61ebe211c1809a6aff80c02fe3a8f214e0188ad#diff-63c3dec7a5e8f15a6ea6db6998fdccf8L58 - so now there is a contradiction with: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/517 - arrrrrggggghhhhhh!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Oh, umm, no Mary, Essential is detached and has its own copy: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/blob/master/less/moodle/responsive.less#L456.

In reply to S. Ali

by Animal the muppet -

I'm having the issue described above but we're running 2.8.1.8

On a desktop computer, if you make the browser narrow (ie, working in split screen view) the dropdown menu disappears / hides.

Should this be fixed in 2.8.1.8 or is this somthing local to our instance?

(#517: Mobile nav button overflow) 

Essential Custom Menu Hamburger Behaviour. #530

Thanks

-----

What it looks like on a narrow browser

What it should look like

In reply to Animal the muppet

by Gareth J Barnard -

Cannot reproduce.

by Animal the muppet -

Morning Gareth

I think I found the bug 

https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/530

The knowledge to fix this is out of my area but hoping there are some keen eyes on here who can help contribute to the project approve

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In that case what you need to do, in your version, is to change the way Essential works on smaller devices.

Most is done in the @media in the CSS/LESS somewhere, and the other PHP is in the layout/includes/header.php...just guessing as not looked specifically.

So basically this would need you to do the coding yourself or pay Gareth to customise it for you.

Just my take on the situation...

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Animal the muppet -

Thanks Mary. I'm hoping that Gareth gets some aid both with donations and I phrased it wrong; coding donations to help fix things up as the ticket says 'help wanted'. Wish i knew more sad

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

I only said that as the image of what you want is actually different than how it should look, with or without a fix.

Unless I am reading this wrongly...as I do tend to miss the obvious sometimes!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

I will answer this properly when I get a chance.  Currently have a Man-cold sad.

by Mary Evans -

oh nooo...

get well soon!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Mary, getting over it gradually.  Looked after my Mum last week, then caught it from her.  That's life.  Just an annoying head cold that is going around at the moment.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok,

This seems to be related to the fact that in transitioning to using the AMD method of loading the Bootstrap JS this happens.

So, to replicate, use the 'overflow' attribute in less/essential/responsive.less:

&.collapse.in[style*="height: auto"] {

min-height: 768px;

//overflow: visible;  // Definitely killing the complete() function (line: 157 in bootstrap.js) being fired at the end of the transition.

}

instead of 'min-height'. Recompile the CSS from the LESS with grunt. Reload the page. Shrink the page such that the menu has the 'hamburger with cheese' menu. Click on the 'hamburger with cheese' icon, menu opens, click on it again, menu closes, click on it again, menu fails to open.

Somehow the changing value of 'overflow' causes the event to fail and no longer operate.

Essential needs this 'overflow' because normal Bootstrap on shrunken screens does not have content (menus) that extend beyond the collapsed area. But Essential does with the dropdown menus.

I think this is all related to MDL-51201 and MDL-51585. In addition I think that perhaps there is not the correct 'faatory' method of loading the Bootstrap JS, https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/MOODLE_29_STABLE/theme/bootstrapbase/amd/src/bootstrap.js#L21:

define(['jquery'], function($) {

Need to think!

by Atiqul Hussain -

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for your great work on the theme.

Can I ask if the height of an uploaded image for the logo contained in the header is set to 65px? I've been trying to alter this on the Custom CSS section with the following code, however it's of no use as the image is automatically resized:

a.logo {height: 136px;}

Please let me know when you can.

Many thanks,

Atiqul

In reply to Atiqul Hussain

by Gareth J Barnard -
In the Custom CSS set the '#pageheader' to 10px greater than the image and '#page-header a.logo' to the height of the image, so in your case:
#pageheader {
    height: 146px;
}

#page-header a.logo {
    height: 136px;
}

should work.

by Atiqul Hussain -

Hi Gareth,

Many thanks for this, it worked perfectly!

by Jonathan Green -

Hi Gareth,

I'm running your 2.9 release and noticed that customizing the colors in the front page carousel does not work correctly - they always revert back to the default site colors.

In reply to Jonathan Green

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks for letting me know Jonathan, I'll add it to the list.

Update: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/520.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Jonathan,

Cannot replicate in forthcoming Essential 2.9.0.7 which is functionally the same as released 2.9.0.6 in this area.  If you have concrete evidence to the contrary, please demonstrate in detail here, stating exact Essential version and steps to replicate.

Gareth

Attachment 2015-07-31 13_24_25-Moodle 29.jpg

by Jonathan Green -

Hi Gareth,

I'm running 2.9.0.6 (Build: 2015062405)

Steps to replicate:

1. Go To Themes --> Essential --> Slide Show

2. Enable Slideshow

3. Choose colors (#FFFFFF in my case for all colors)

4. Save and view

My chosen colors are not reflected in the output. You can see at http://learn.montereycoe.org

I've also run into 1 other issue:

My footer is all sorts of oddly formatted (see on our page below - other pages look worse than others with it floating or having odd heights)

In reply to Jonathan Green

by Gareth J Barnard -

Thanks Jonathan, I can replicate so have reopened the issue.  I'll get around to fixing it at some point.  I could not see a fault in your footer.  I looked a bit further and found that the 'essential.css' file had changed.  It might / could be that when you edited the 'essential.css'  from the original that something got mucked up, therefore being a deviation from my identical version where a replication test would be valid I would not be willing to spend time on it.

Odg: Essential theme for Moodle 2.8 (stable) and 2.9 (beta) released.

by Mitja Decman -

Hi,

can you get in touch with me about sponsorship?

Regards ...